PDA

View Full Version : Wax of Plastic Trim

Lazzman
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
I was rushing through a detail today and stained a whole bunch of the textured black plastic on the lower rocker panels and around the wheel wells of a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was using Collinite 476S to get it ready for the winter.

My first thought was to use a bottle of Wax Blaster I had sitting around for a while. It did not do anything.

Anyone know of any products that work to get this wax stain of the black plastic trim, it looks like a**.

Thanks

SuperBee364
10-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi-Temp Prep Wash (I get it from topoftheline.com) and a soft bristled tooth brush will remove it.

wascallyrabbit
10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
if you don`t have the hi-temp prep wash you could try using a good apc starting with it diluted and working your way up from there.

Dan
10-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow, of all the products to stain trim with...lol. If you have KAIO, that works very well for me.

Lazzman
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM
yes and it looks horrible.

I have Meg`s APC I will give it a shot at 4:1 ratio.

Don`t have the Hi temp prep handy.

rdorman
10-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Why not just 3M wax and adhesive remover? Seems like everyone has a can in their garage and most corner parts stores sell it.

Accumulator
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-Using 476S on trim is tricky; it can work fine (that`s "can", not "always will") but it takes a carefull, W-O-W-O approach.

-845 is a much better choice for this.

-Most wax removal solvents/products oughta work OK, it`s just that 476s is pretty tough stuff.

-IMO everybody who`s serious about detailing oughta have a can of 3M adhesiver remover and a bottle of PrepWash.

Note that the local autobody/paint supply place oughta have some kind of solvent, probably the 3M stuff, on the shelf.

txz28
10-11-2010, 03:48 PM
The old tricks sometimes work the best. Try a pink pencil eraser. It leaves lots of pink crumbs that you can blow off, but it has worked for me whenever I tried it. YMMV. Also, I would put some dressing on the trim after you are done with whatever removal technique you use.

dschribs
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I`ve used this. Works great.

GR-40-Trim Cleaner 8 oz (http://www.pakshak.com/gr-40-trim-cleaner-8oz.html)

Accumulator
10-12-2010, 11:12 AM
dschribs- I`ve had varying experiences with GR-40. Works OK most of the time, but didn`t do a thing for polish residue on the M3`s belt-line trim for some reason. Maybe it just works better on some residues than on others...good to have on the shelf though.

Lazzman
10-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Tried Meg`s APC 2:1 with nylon brush, did not work great only so so.

I ordered the Hi Temp prep wash from Top of the line, hopefully it won`t require as much effort as the Meg`s APC.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, I did follow up the Meg`s with Optima opti bond and all is well on one side of the vehicle. I will have a go with the Hi temp when it arrives on the other side.

samhian
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Give Mr. Clean Magic eraser a shot. It has done wonders on my Tacoma`s trim when everything else has failed.