PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaning

sammo123321
10-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I use AmorAll Wheel Cleaner, and I also use AmorAll tire shine to get my tires to sparkle, but it seems like the actual wheels are chipped or something? Not sure how to remove this, and any suggestions would be great. Also, the hub cap with the elmblem has some white background streak to it. Any ideas on how to get rid of that?

I am including a picture as well just because I believe my description isn`t as good as a picture.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4567/tires.jpg (http://img837.imageshack.us/i/tires.jpg/)

454Casull
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
It looks like the clearcoat has been compromised and the aluminum underneath is corroding. AFAIK there isn`t much you can do about it short of stripping off all the clearcoat and refinishing the wheel.

tom p.
10-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Sam, that`s clearcoat failure coupled with curbing. You can`t "remove" it. I see this often on Japanese cars. Sometimes it`s far worse than what you are showing us. Do you live in a location that experiences winter conditions?

I think you can get wheels trued up + refinished for about $125 each.

Welcome aboard!

Accumulator
10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
sammo123321- Welcome to Autopia!

As noted, the wheels simply need refinishing. The centercaps are pretty inexpensive to replace.

Dan
10-06-2010, 10:36 AM
That looks like a bit of curb rash. Most wheel cleaners are acidic, the acid reacts with bare aluminum and causes what you see above. Strong wheel cleaners are also hell on plastic center caps. The only fix is to get those wheels refinished as mentioned above, which usually costs between $50-$150/wheel.

Accumulator
10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
That looks like a bit of curb rash. Most wheel cleaners are acidic, the acid reacts with bare aluminum and causes what you see above..

That`s a good point about the acid-on-bare-aluminum, and something that doesn`t get enough attention here. IMO, acidic wheel cleaners oughta be followed by something alkaline (I use APC) rather than mere rinsing.

sammo123321
10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
I bought the vehicle used about two weeks ago, and yes I do live in winter conditions here in Wisconsin! Probably the fault of previous owners rubbing the curb too much. Would it be worth getting new wheels, or just getting the wheels refinished?

454Casull
10-06-2010, 11:15 PM
You can strip the coating off yourself and paint the wheels. It doesn`t take too long and durability isn`t bad. I would say it`s something you should do once, anyway.

tom p.
10-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Probably the fault of previous owners rubbing the curb too much. Would it be worth getting new wheels, or just getting the wheels refinished?

You see this condition on wheels that have never been curbed; that`s not necessarily the cause.

OE wheels are most likely to be stronger and more durable than many aftermarket wheels. If you do buy replacements wheels don`t buy cheap wheels.

Dan
10-07-2010, 06:26 AM
If you do buy replacements wheels don`t buy cheap wheels.

If you do buy cheap wheels, buy at least five or six, that way when bend one and they no longer produce them, you have a replacement. Its funny to see so many sets of 3 wheels for sale on CraigsList.

Accumulator
10-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I bought the vehicle used about two weeks ago, and yes I do live in winter conditions here in Wisconsin! Probably the fault of previous owners rubbing the curb too much. Would it be worth getting new wheels, or just getting the wheels refinished?

I`m in the same boat with my beaters. I had the compromised wheels refinished (well, I`ve had ones off the Audi done and I`m thinking about doing the ones off the Tahoe) and I then use those for winter wheels. I get better/undamaged ones for nice weather and then try to keep `em that way. Good to have dedicated winter wheels for the snowtires anyhow (and yeah, I even run snowtires on 4WD trucks and AWD cars ;) ).