PDA

View Full Version : After neglecting my car for a year, where would you start?

Egoolps
10-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I use the term neglect loosely, but compared to most enthusiasts on here, this is exactly what I did.

I won`t bore you with the whole story of why, but in sum, I got a job a year ago that had me working close to a 70 hour work week. With that said, I`ve washed my car maybe once/month and *gulp* haven`t waxed it for around 6 months.

Now that I`m back to a normal life, it`s time to get back to the routine. I have a 2006 Brilliant Black Dodge Charger. I can see microscratches in the sun on various parts of the car and the car just doesn`t look as shiny as it used to for obvious reasons.

I`m guessing a wash/clay/wax needs to be done immediately, right?

What are your thoughts on the Wolfgang 3.0 sealant? (I have it from over a year ago, barely used)

For my car, what type of Wax would you suggest?

I plan on getting a full detail on the spring. It seems almost pointless to do it now with the winter months coming up quickly.

Thanks.

BigAl3
10-05-2010, 02:50 AM
I`m guessing a wash/clay/wax needs to be done immediately, right?

that would be a good idea, who knows what`s accumulated on the finish since you washed, and last added protection on it...

Accumulator
10-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Egoolps- I`d tread it the same way I do newly purchased used vehicles:

-Wash

-Decontaminate with at least the alkaline portion of a decontamination system (e.g., FK1119)

-Clay, perhaps during either the wash or the decontamination

-Compound/polish/etc. to reduce/eliminate marring

-LSP with either a wax (e.g., Collinite) or a sealant, but not both

IMO it`s not at all pointless to do this now instead of waiting for spring. Why subject the vehicle to more "passive neglect"? If you let it go, by spring it`ll be a whole lot worse.

hplaceap
10-05-2010, 04:43 PM

-Wash

-Decontaminate with at least the alkaline portion of a decontamination system (e.g., FK1119)

IMO it`s not at all pointless to do this now instead of waiting for spring. Why subject the vehicle to more "passive neglect"? If you let it go, by spring it`ll be a whole lot worse.

+1

a stitch in time saves nine, as the saying goes

Rob Tomlin
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM

-Wash

I agree as well. You might as well do the polishing now. Otherwise you aren`t really doing much by just adding protection over the winter. As Accumulator says, this is really just more "passive neglect".

akimel
10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
It really comes down to how much time you want to put into the car at this point. There`s no right or wrong. Clearly you need to wash and clay the car; but do you want to remove the swirls and scratches, i.e., do you want to spend a day or two this fall polishing the car? If not, then you might want to follow-up the claying with a paint cleaner (P21S Paintwork Cleanser, 4 Star Pre-Wax Cleanser, etc.) or cleaner wax (Klasse AIO, Duragloss 501, Megs` ColorX or M20, etc.) and then top it with your Wolfgang sealant. There`s really no point worrying about the swirls if you are not prepared to maintain the car as as a black car needs to be maintained. Let`s face it, black is a profession all on its own. Unless you are Accumulator, swirls are inevitable. Reality imposes and compels us to negotiate our expectations. Most ordinary folk cannot live long in the Autopia universe. :)

Rob Tomlin
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
It would personally drive me crazy to see those swirls still there after going to the trouble of claying, cleaning, and waxing the paint.

Dan
10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
It really comes down to how much time you want to put into the car at this point. There`s no right or wrong. Clearly you need to wash and clay the car; but do you want to remove the swirls and scratches, i.e., do you want to spend a day or two this fall polishing the car? If not, then you might want to follow-up the claying with a paint cleaner (P21S Paintwork Cleanser, 4 Star Pre-Wax Cleanser, etc.) or cleaner wax (Klasse AIO, Duragloss 501, Megs` ColorX or M20, etc.) and then top it with your Wolfgang sealant. There`s really no point worrying about the swirls if you are not prepared to maintain the car as as a black car needs to be maintained. Let`s face it, black is a profession all on its own. Unless you are Accumulator, swirls are inevitable. Reality imposes and compels us to negotiate our expectations. Most ordinary folk cannot live long in the Autopia universe. :)

Agree. Wash, Clay and AIO with a durable AIO. That will minimize further damage. No need to polish with winter coming up, its scratch season....

akimel
10-06-2010, 08:39 AM
It would personally drive me crazy to see those swirls still there after going to the trouble of claying, cleaning, and waxing the paint.

As the song goes, "Black cars look better in the shade." :)

Accumulator
10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
... Unless you are Accumulator, swirls are inevitable. Reality imposes...

And note that my Carbon Metallic Yukon XLD has picked up a few little flaws since last year`s polishing.

akimel
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
and note that my carbon metallic yukon xld has picked up a few little flaws since last year`s polishing.

Inconceivable! :)

someidiot
10-06-2010, 05:20 PM

I agree with wash, clay, AIO, sealant.

Alexshimshimhae
10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
lmao accum`s cars have imperfections? who speaks these lies? that`s utter blasphemy~!!!

I wouldn`t go crazy getting a show finish on your car--but definitely clean it out and slap down a coat of collinite 476 or SOMETHING that will get you a nice sturdy coat for the winter (salt is corrosive)

gigondaz
10-07-2010, 06:21 AM
There is no single correct method.

If I were you, and with winter coming, I`ll just focus on getting the car clean up really well to remove any imbedded stubborn contaminants from the paintwork. Swirl-removal and other aesthetic stuff can come after winter when the weather is more conducive, and your efforts would be longer lasting.

1. Clean (paint cleaner - AIO etc)

2. Smooth (claying)

3. Camouflaging the fine swirls and other imperfections (eg: 2 applications of NXT2, Gold Class or any stuff that has great hiding abilities)

4. Durable LSP

The above shdn`t take too long. It`s just an interim measure to pull you through winter.

During winter and after, if your car get any more fine scratches, at least you won`t feel too heart-sick.

After winter, THAT will be the time for the MOTHER of all detailing jobs, when the good weather comes!

Accumulator
10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Gigondaz- Despite my advice on this thead, I just *MIGHT* do as you`re suggesting on my new beater-Tahoe, what with winter fast approaching and so much mechanical work do be done before then :think: And I`ll be having a lot of paintwork done on it which I`m sure not doing right before winter! But knowing me, I`ll hit it with some M105 anyhow just to round the edges over a little.

You`re right, there`s no one approach that`s perfect for everybody in this "really neglected!" situaton.

lmao accum`s cars have imperfections? who speaks these lies? that`s utter blasphemy~!!!

Heh heh heh :chuckle: Hey, it`s not like I polish them every year though...or even every two or three years in many cases.

Even on the Yukon, except for the too-deep-to-fix stuff, there`s nothing anybody`s gonna spot without really working at it ;) And remember- this is the dog-hauler and it was bought *VERY* used; not enough clear left for any real correction anyhow.

But then, I`ve spotted flaws on a whole lot of "perfectly corrected" cars too ;)