PDA

View Full Version : Flatt/ matte paint job.

Toymachine2009
09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Since these paint jobs are more and more common now I was just wondering how do you clean them? Are they clear coated if they are wouldn`t they be glossy? Also can they get swirls? If they do, do you polish them the same way? I assume washing techniques are the same..

Innovative Detailing
10-02-2010, 02:59 AM
For my 1953 Ford F100 I use the following method to keep it clean in between driving and car shows......

1) ONR

I fill a Hudson pump sprayer up with a ONR/Blue Mist/ R/O water premix and pre spray each panel before wiping. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of R/O water and 2.5 ounces of ONR/Blue Mist premix. As each panel is sprayed I then use a premium MF towel that I dunk in my bucket, wring out and wipe the panel. I then move to the next panel, of course starting on the roof and leaving the lowers and fender lips for last.....I then spot clean any areas that are needed with my Blue Mist and a clean MF towel in between the above cleaning.....

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k448/Havasulvr/1953%20Ford%20F100/DSC_0809.jpg

gigondaz
10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Since these paint jobs are more and more common now I was just wondering how do you clean them? Are they clear coated if they are wouldn`t they be glossy? Also can they get swirls? If they do, do you polish them the same way? I assume washing techniques are the same..

There are numerous methods to obtain a matt-look paintjob.

But IMO, there is only 1 professional method, and that`s to either:

1. Use a matt clearcoat.

2. Add a matting-agent to regular glossy clearcoat.

Actually, it`s not that matt at all. It can be done in varying levels of mattness ranging from a satin-look right down to matt.

Since it has a clearcoat, you`ll still be plagued by the usual fine scratches and swirls. But since it`s relatively non-reflective, these problems are not as obvious.

If you compound with a wool pad, you`ll create a slight sheen, and I`m sure you don`t want that on a "matt car".

However, you can use any polish with mild abrasives (eg: menz PO85RD), and top it with any wax or sealant.

Many beautiful matt cars have only a layer of wax and that`s it.

Swissvax has a new range of polish and wax specifically formulated for matt-paintjobs.

That`s why, spraying matt finish is more challenging.

Unlike normal spray jobs where you can sand and buff (after spraying) to remove paint nibs, dust spots, orange peel and other common gremlins, you cant really do that on matt.

Once you sand the matt clearcoat, you`ll hv to compound...and you`ll end up with a slightly shiny finish, which defeats the purpose of a matt-paintjob.