PDA

View Full Version : Spray interior windows for cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2

lee1dew
09-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Do most people spray glass cleaner into an MF towel or directly on to the glass when cleaning the inside of windows? I was always worried that the mist that misses the window could damage the interior, but I haven`t seen any evidence supporting that concern. The products I would be using are SIG and Megs D120.

G37
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I like SIG I like spraying it on a towel then using a second one to finish. dont like overspray everywhere...

Dan
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
I few quick sprays of Invisible Glass on the IG wand is all that i need. It seems to work much better almost dry.

Accumulator
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
If I`m concerned about window cleaner overspray I use pieces of coated cardboard to "mask" the surrounding areas. The kind of cardboard that comes with my wife`s pantyhose works well, as does the stuff that new dress shirts come wrapped around. I`ll lay a towel over the dashboard/etc. to cover large areas.

G37
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
If glass cleaner mist lands and dries on paint for example the hood can this be harmful to the finish?

imported_paintxpert
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow, you know in 39 years I never gave this a second thought. You see, you guys are really on the mark. I use a product from the sixties called Sprayway...... anyone who knows car detailing can tell you where to get it. I use a simple lintless paper towel and I spray the cleaner on the towel. None usually hits the paint or interior panels. If it should, I just use a simple clean damp microfibre. Sprayway again is a personal choice. USE WHAT MOTIVATES YOU. The customer will indeed love the effort. The old timers use newspaper and vinegar. I am just not that old yet. Dont laugh, the car wash near us uses newspaper. The windows look good. The owner SAVES money!!! That is NOT a laughing matter in this shattered economy. Paintxpert

imported_paintxpert
01-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Dont worry if a bit gets anywhere wipe it off. Chances are you wont need to dial 911. Paintxpert

tssdetailing
01-07-2011, 01:02 AM
when doing an interior, i typically clean it, dress/condition it then do the windows last so as to whipe off anything that hit them during the detailing process. That being said, I don`t want to undo any dressing that I`ve applied to the interior, so YES spray the towel, not the glass.

Accumulator
01-07-2011, 11:41 AM
.. The old timers use newspaper and vinegar. I am just not that old yet. Dont laugh, the car wash near us uses newspaper...

Hey paintxpert, seems like I haven`t seen you posting here for a while :wavey

Yeah vinegar and newspapers is old-school, but it worked much better back in the day than it does now; both newspaper/ink and autoglass have changed a lot and what worked great when I was a kid isn`t so hot any more.

Accumulator
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Re "spray the towel or the window?", while I certainly understand the benefits of doing the former, really saturating the glass is easier if I spray the window and I find that simply cleans better. No, I don`t always *need* the added cleaning power, but still...

Maybe my view of this is skewed by the dog-slobber I`m always cleaning off (literally every day :rolleyes: ).

TLMitchell
01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I few quick sprays of Invisible Glass on the IG wand is all that i need. It seems to work much better almost dry.

I was playing around with a new IG wand for the first time the other day. After doing the windows `normally` I used the wand to mop any residue or streaks and get the corners and borders. Best, easiest method I ever used on glass! As it was basically dry with exception to the slight bit of residue I was wondering how the rest of the world uses it? Also wondered how often folks washed the covers?

+1 on Sprayway! :2thumbs: First I ever heard of it was on Forums, best stuff I`ve ever used.

TL

David Fermani
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Unless I`m using a foam window cleaner, I`ll spray the product onto my scrubbing towel instead of directly onto the window. If you don`t start spreading the cleaner fast enough it will drip down into the belt molding or into areas you might not be able to reach. After scrubbing, I`ll follow with a clean dry buffing towel to make sure any residue is removed.

Thomas Dekany
01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I very rarely use a dedicated glass cleaner on the inside. I switched to using quick detailers for that duty. This way I am able to control the amount much better and able to spray directly onto the areas.

Scottwax
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I wait to dress the interior until after the inside glass has been cleaned, so no overspray issues when cleaning the glass. I`ve found that pre-cleaning the interior glass using an ONR dampened MF towel followed by a dry MF towel cleans the worst of the grime making the glass much easier to clean with the final spray and wipe step.

wfedwar
01-10-2011, 12:31 AM
As a test on the propensity of Blackfire Spray Sealant to streak, I used it to clean the interior windows on my car. I was fully expecting streaking and was actually planning on using that to test how to remove the streaking (I can see it much easier on glass than paint). Surprisingly, it didn`t streak at all. It really works well, at least the couple of times I`ve used it on my car. If anyone has some of this spray laying around, give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Billy