PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning MF products after a wash/wax

john1r
09-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Hi. I recently (finally!) did my first real wash/wax yesterday, and wanted some advice on cleaning my products. I`ve read many posts and couldn`t quite find all my answers in 1 place.

The products I used are:

Meguiar`s Microfiber Wash Mitt & Viking Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel for ONR washing/drying

Viking Microfiber Applicator Pad for applying Klasse AIO & a regular detailing MF cloth made by Vroom (target) for wiping off the KAIO

Viking Microfiber Applicator Pad for applying Collinite 845 & a regular detailing MF cloth made by Vroom (target) for wiping off the KAIO

If the wash mitt still looks dirty (even after washing with MicroRestore Microfiber Detergent), should I just throw it out? Or is it clean, but just stained? Would soaking it in the detergent for a few hours/overnight do anything at this point (or might it have helped had I soaked it before washing)?

After washing the applicator pads I feel like they may still have some product on them (KAIO/845). I did rinse them off a bit before washing (though this was a few hours after use). Should I try soaking them and rewashing, or just throw them out at this point (and next time try soaking them before washing)?

Also, I only did 2 washes (1 for my clean/drying towels and 1 for everything else which included my wash mitt, buffing towels used to remove KAIO/845 and applicator pads). Should I have done 3 washes (drying towels, wash mitt, applicator pads/buffing towels)? Or some other combination?

And should I try and wash them as soon after I use them as possible so the KAIO/845 don`t have time to fully dry?

Thank you!

Accumulator
09-27-2010, 11:23 AM
If the wash mitt still looks dirty (even after washing with MicroRestore Microfiber Detergent), should I just throw it out? Or is it clean, but just stained? Would soaking it in the detergent for a few hours/overnight do anything at this point (or might it have helped had I soaked it before washing)?

Many such stains don`t matter. Not all staining equals contamination that`ll mar paint.

After washing the applicator pads I feel like they may still have some product on them (KAIO/845). I did rinse them off a bit before washing (though this was a few hours after use). Should I try soaking them and rewashing, or just throw them out at this point (and next time try soaking them before washing)?

Yeah, try washing them out individually by hand before the "regular" washing, and try to do it before the product dries. But again, the stains don`t always matter and I bet most everybody has residual stains from 845 anyhow.

If in doubt, CD-test the stained stuff and see if it`s still safe to use.

But OTOH, some might argue that certain things are so inexpensive as to be disposable.

Also, I only did 2 washes (1 for my clean/drying towels and 1 for everything else which included my wash mitt, buffing towels used to remove KAIO/845 and applicator pads). Should I have done 3 washes (drying towels, wash mitt, applicator pads/buffing towels)? Or some other combination?

You do what you gotta do ;) But don`t knock yourself out over something that looks bad but doesn`t matter in the functional sense. I *would* try to get drying towels clean though.

And should I try and wash them as soon after I use them as possible so the KAIO/845 don`t have time to fully dry?

Yeah, that`ll help a LOT.

john1r
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks as always!