PDA

View Full Version : So what do you guys use to wipe down your leather seats?

Toymachine2009
09-25-2010, 09:40 PM
So many of you have different leather cleaning techniques just wondering what everyone uses to clean there leather.. I tried a microfiber towel and leather cleaner from zaino or even Megs APC plus and lets just say a MF towel could not get the job done.. Need something a little more coarse to agitate the leather but not scratch or anything.

So curious what do you guys use brushes? Sponges? Tooth brushes?

What do you guys suggest and what is your personal prefrence to clean leather.

Where can I get them as well in store or online?

found this on here and not sure what it is, but by the results this guy got with it. it looked great

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/PolyProDetail/Ferrari%20Interior/Ferrari059.jpg

David Fermani
09-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey, that hand looks familiar. I suggest trying either Optimum Power Clean, HD Total or Leather Masters. As a maintenance routine, I like wet wiping seats with a damp towel. The products available OTC are usually not that good. Here`s the pad used in that pic: HD DUOPAD COMBO (http://www.hdcarcare.com/hd-duopad-interior-exterior-applicator-sponge-combo.html)

Toymachine2009
09-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey, that hand looks familiar. I suggest trying either Optimum Power Clean, HD Total or Leather Masters. As a maintenance routine, I like wet wiping seats with a damp towel. The products available OTC are usually not that good. Here`s the pad used in that pic: HD DUOPAD COMBO (http://www.hdcarcare.com/hd-duopad-interior-exterior-applicator-sponge-combo.html)

Hey there is the man of the hour hahaha... Yea dude those posts you posted up in the carpet shampoo thread were amazing! Yea thanks I`ll order those pads those look good enough to agitate without scratching.

Toymachine2009
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I was just looking over the HD products and looking at the review you did on them and they seem to be legit! and very very well priced! I ordered a few HD products to give it a test and that duo pad that looks pretty cool itself.. One side for the cleaner and the 2nd side for the conditioner very nice!

Scottwax
09-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Between deep cleanings, a ONR dampened MF towel works great.

David Fermani
09-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Yeah Scott, ONR is an excellent product for sprucing an interior. Especially carpeting.

matth9
09-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Adams Leather & Interior

Horse Hair Brush

Microfiber Towel

Roger Koh
09-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Need something a little more coarse to agitate the leather but not scratch or anything.

So curious what do you guys use brushes? Sponges? Tooth brushes?

What do you guys suggest and what is your personal prefrence to clean leather.

Where can I get them as well in store or online?

found this on here and not sure what it is, but by the results this guy got with it. it looked great

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/PolyProDetail/Ferrari%20Interior/Ferrari059.jpg

What leather producer fear for its finishing is the “wet and dry” rubs; especially when the leather is coated with micron layers of pigment necessary to even out the appearance between hides into a batch of leather to be made into upholstery.

They also know that leather upholstery is made to be sat on and have to take lots of abrasion from the weight of the passenger with heavy jeans.

Most of the topcoats would have been wear out as seen in the picture; without we even notice it; until the color coat is gone.

What I am saying is that the leather do not need “a little more coarse” more than a horsehair brush to do the agitation.

The work of the soil removing job should rely on products that can match up to the level of soiling; using the chemical action to do its work of “penetrating, lubricating and suspending to be extracted with highly absorbent towels.

When you see dark soiling lines on light leather colors just like the picture; even horsehair brush can’t reach in-between the grain valleys to dig it out.

In such cases it has to rely on “leather-safe” chemical reaction.

And here is an example of problem solving guide base on the strength of leather-safe cleaning dosage.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/PM-LeatherProblemGuide.jpg

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.org

G37
09-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I use a Vroom soft cotton lint free polishing/finishing cloth dampened with a little water.. I tried using a MF towel dont like how MF is extremely clingy..I have lexol cleaning wipes for when water doesnt work but after reading some things about lexol I am hesitant to use them...

DavidMazzarella
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey buddy,

You`re absolutely correct. Microfiber doesn`t work well on the leather because it`s not `Abrasive` enough. Microfiber towels work great at removing waxes and polishes from the exterior paint surface of the automobile. Pretty good on windows, too.

Try using a 100% Cotton Terry Cloth towel. Like a bathroom facecloth. The terry cloth towel has just enough texture to give you the results your looking for without causing scratches to the leather. Just be sure not to rub too hard.

DavidMazzarella
09-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Great job, Roger! Awesome data!

New Skool
09-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I use Optimum Power Clean and M/F`s on leather. I did a Jag with white leather and it was so dirty I had to use a blue brush on my porter cable along with OPC. This was the only way to get them clean.

Toymachine2009
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey buddy,

You`re absolutely correct. Microfiber doesn`t work well on the leather because it`s not `Abrasive` enough. Microfiber towels work great at removing waxes and polishes from the exterior paint surface of the automobile. Pretty good on windows, too.

Try using a 100% Cotton Terry Cloth towel. Like a bathroom facecloth. The terry cloth towel has just enough texture to give you the results your looking for without causing scratches to the leather. Just be sure not to rub too hard.

Thanks for the tip.

MSOsr
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Between deep cleanings, a ONR dampened MF towel works great.

ONR or Optimum Power Clean or other product?

Mike