PDA

View Full Version : How can I deal with paint overspray and fogging? (new paint)

sprinter
09-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Hello detailing experts,

I`m new to the forum and need your help and advice to make the best of a bad situation. I have a 20 year old car whose clearcoat flaked off in big chunks. The car is not worth much money, but I really like it and want to continue to drive it a while longer. Can`t afford to have it done professionally, so I am trying to do the best I can with no previous experience.

What I have done is scrape off the old clearcoat as far as I could, but there are edges where I could scrape no further. I have feathered these the best I can, but they still show, short of stripping the paint. I can live with that because I`ll have to. I wet sanded the whole surface with 400 and 800 paper and painted the whole thing with rattle cans from Sherwin Williams. The paint is called "acrylic emamel". I imagine it`s technically lacquer. It`s a dark blue metallic which is a good match, but the big problem is the overspray and fogging which is uneven and unsightly. I can`t seem to avoid this. I used UPol #1 clearcoat which is really nice stuff and covers the paint`s fogging, but it also sprays fog with every application itself.

So, I need advice on what to do next. Can I wet sand the whole thing again with very fine paper and then polish it up and wax it? I don`t really know what my options are at this point. I want it to be uniformly glossy as possible. If this is an option, I am willing to buy a RA polisher and the proper products, but I don`t have any idea what the proper steps should be. This is not for show or anything, but I would like it to end up as nice as possible, now that I`m committed to this course. If I do sand and polish, how long should this type of paint cure first?

Thank you for any help here.

Ron