PDA

View Full Version : OMG KABOOM for Car Cleaning ! ?

JeffW
01-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Washed my car this morning (typical weekend activity) and noticed my new neighbor across the street doing the same thing, and spraying the finish with something in a purple bottle - KABOOM! Went over to visit with him and he said it`s the best way to clean off all the contaminants and old wax and he got the idea after how well it did stripping the soap scum, etc., out of his shower.

Anyone ever heard of doing this b-4?

CharlesW
01-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey, it`s an Oxi-Clean product so it must be good for use on cars, right?:D

They call it a "Shower, Tub & Tile Cleaner".
That doesn`t sound like anything I want to use on my vehicles.

Charles

jaybs02
01-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I know Kaboom is from the same people that make oxiclean.
But I thought that Kaboom was for cleaning bathrooms and toilets.

Does your neighbor have a "crappy" car :rofl

Sorry I still need to get some rest
"J"

GregCavi
01-28-2006, 11:11 AM

He might now!

Greg

JeffW
01-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I know Kaboom is from the same people that make oxiclean.
But I thought that Kaboom was for cleaning bathrooms and toilets.

Sorry I still need to get some rest
"J"

That`s good !

I`ll walk over later on and see how things turned out. My eyes pop`d out and my jaw dropped as soon as could make out it was Kaboom - from a distence it looked alot like the purple bottle of Megs NXT Speed Detailer. :whistling

Squirtgun
01-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Kaboom contains a product similar in nature to citric acid. While it`s milder than most acids I still wouldn`t want it in mt car.

edschwab1
01-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Kaboom is/was recommended in Audi World for use as a wheel cleaner.

Eric

Detail_Geek
01-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey, it`s an Oxi-Clean product so it must be good for use on cars, right?:D

They call it a "Shower, Tub & Tile Cleaner".
That doesn`t sound like anything I want to use on my vehicles.

Charles

:lol: ME 2 :dontgetit

JeffW
02-01-2006, 07:36 AM
I visited my Kaboom neighbor last night and we talked at length about his usage of this as a cleaner, as well as his processes for car care. Except for using Kaboom, he seems to have normal car care techniques and products like most of us... He uses the Mothers Reflections line of products and his car looks very, very nice.

OK, so, the Kaboom stuff... he had previously used Meg`s paint cleaners until one day when he ran out, and his wife suggested using Kaboom instead of `spending more money on the stupid car` (bet none of us have ever heard that, right?). After giving the car a bath, he sprays Kaboom lightly, then rinses with soapy water and rinse water. Panel by panel without letting it soak more than 30 seconds or so. He said it`s the easiest way to get that squeeky clean surface he has ever seen, definitely quicker and easier than chemical cleaners.

Even though he had a convincing argument, he didn`t convince me.

chml17l
02-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Using "cheap" household cleaners like Kaboom in place of proper car care products is for someone who wants to take chances with their car IMO.

The main ingredient in Kaboom is urea monohydrochloride which is a urea salt that reacts to give an organic acid cleaning solution. This solution is still an organic acid of HCl which is a strong acid. Some manufacturers believe, I guess, that these alternative cleaners are safer than concentrated acid solutions diluted in water. Essentially you are still dealing with a strongly acidic cleaner (ph ~ 1).The KaBoom disclaimer reads:
"Do not use on: Natural Stone, Marble, Painted Surfaces, Plastic,
Clothing, Wallpaper, Cracked or Damaged Surface."

If you want to use a decontamination product that includes an acid, use a properly designed kit from either Autoint or Finish Kare and please keep the Kaboom away from your car.

JeffW
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
The KaBoom disclaimer reads:

Wholly crap, batman... I`ll try to point this out to him tonight.

Mikeyc
02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
OK, so, the Kaboom stuff... he had previously used Meg`s paint cleaners until one day when he ran out, and his wife suggested using Kaboom instead of `spending more money on the stupid car` (bet none of us have ever heard that, right?).
This is why I`d rather stay single. I don`t want to end up using Kaboom on my car.

joe.p
02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
:image
This is why I`d rather stay single. I don`t want to end up using Kaboom on my car.
:rofl :rofl

JeffW
02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
The KaBoom disclaimer reads:
Clothing, Wallpaper, Cracked or Damaged Surface."

Hmmm... hope he doesn`t also use it on his marbles :huh: