PDA

View Full Version : Tough to Clean Brown Specks

Subirex09
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I been using Turtlewax Spray On Bug and Tar Remover for a couple years, and with some elbow grease I can usually get the black asphalt specks around and behind the wheels off but there are a lot of brown specks that do not come off as easily.

Do products like Turtlewax Bug and Tar have a shelf life and become weaker after a couple of years?

Is Stoner`s Tarminator a stronger bug and tar remover? Might it remove the difficult brown specks better than the Turtlewax?

I will be clay barring, polishing, and waxing soon as well, will clay barring or polishing take care of the brown specks?

Hope you folks can help, thanks in advance.

Glad the site is back up! : )

Alexshimshimhae
09-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I`ve only used tarminator as far as i can remember...normally for tougher ones i let it sit a bit longer--claybar also seems to wor kwell..but normally rip off a tiny chunk because i through that bit out after

Subirex09
09-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Good to know, I will have to get a bigger clay bar I think...I may be throwing out quite a few clay bits if they pull those brown specks off.

I bought the Meguiar`s kit but it only comes with 2 very thin precut clay bars...which I didn`t realize until it was too late.

Alexshimshimhae
09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
well im sure plenty of people just clayed it like anything else and thought nothing of it--so it should be ok?

Accumulator
09-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I been using Turtlewax Spray On Bug and Tar Remover for a couple years, and with some elbow grease I can usually get the black asphalt specks around and behind the wheels off but there are a lot of brown specks that do not come off as easily...

Can`t help but wonder whether the "brown specs" might not be tar, but rather something more tenacious. Maybe even rust-blooms from ferrous contamination.I too would try the clay and see how that goes.

Do products like Turtlewax Bug and Tar have a shelf life and become weaker after a couple of years?

Generally, no. Not unless the solvents somehow evaporate. I wouldn`t hesitate to use such stuff that`s *decades* old.

I will be clay barring, polishing, and waxing soon as well, will clay barring or polishing take care of the brown specks?

Yeah, hopefully it will.