PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of help with freshly painted black car.

MR_X
09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Got my car painted a week ago. Yesterday I parked the car outside while I rearranged my garage and it got tree sap on it. I`m thinking just spraying water on it and using a bug and tar remover to get the tree sap off and follow it with Meguiars #7 polishing compound. Would it be safe to do this or is there something else I should fallow?

gmblack3
09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Call the painter and ask if the paint is fully cured.

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
ermmm...as far as I know (DEFINITELY find out for sure) paint takes 30 days or something like that to fully cure.... but i would think a really mild clay (I`m told sonus green fits this build) might do it?

And I read that most glazes are fresh paint friendly, so though they aren`t as good as your regular waxes, they might provide you with some protection...

MR_X
09-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Got lucky. Finally got a hold of my bodyshop. They told me to use a little bit of dish soap, warm water and microtones towel fallowed by goo gone. Well the soapy water bit it.

gigondaz
09-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Got my car painted a week ago. Yesterday I parked the car outside while I rearranged my garage and it got tree sap on it. I`m thinking just spraying water on it and using a bug and tar remover to get the tree sap off and follow it with Meguiars #7 polishing compound. Would it be safe to do this or is there something else I should fallow?

If your resprayer`s method doesn`t work, I hv a few methods that hv worked well in fresh, un-cured paint finishes with tree sap:

1. Soak a small towel with hot water and place over the spot for 10mins. Keep towel wet with hot water.

2. Dry the area, and use a tiny bit of methylated spirit.

3. If this fails, then dab the tree sap with a bit of acetone and wipe gently with MF

Or, you can keep the tree sap wet with a tiny dab of cleaner polish or Klasse AIO, keep it wet for 10mins and try rubbing gently with MF.

DM101
09-19-2010, 07:46 AM
After your get the sap off you can use Meguiars #5 to keep it look shiney til the paint cures.

David Fermani
09-19-2010, 09:02 AM
It won`t hurt to dab the affected area with an Alcohol moistned Microfiber towel. I`d much rather risk scratching the paint over letting acidic tree sap eat into it. I`d then use some Optimum Spray Wax as it`s one of the only protectants that are 100% safe on fresh uncured paint.