PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game :D

slvr-bullet
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello All,

Since owning my first car for almost 12 years and detailing it for about the first 3/4 of those years I just didn`t maintain it like I used to. Just did the occasional washes and QD.

But now I recently purchased a new car and want to start back into the game again and keep this car as beautiful as possible.

I`ve only washed it once with ONR since getting it (I live in an apartment with underground parking so this is perfect) and will get around to a full detail when I have more time to strip everything off and start from scratch.

I`ve always been a fan of Zaino products so that is what I`ll be using as my LSP. What I wanted to ask was about cleaning the inside of the rims. I`ve never really paid that much attention to the inside and always cleaned the outside as everyone else does. But reading through all the threads it seems like it`s the normal thing to do now. I tried my best using a sponge and getting my hand in between the spokes and such but it doesn`t get all of the dirt/brake dust. What would be recommended as a cleaner and tool for this? Also I`ve read about sealing rims. I have never done this before but I would probably use the Zaino AIO for this. Would it be recommended that I just pull each rim off the car, wash it down and seal it (front and back) and reinstall and subsequent washes I would just wash it while it`s on the car?

How would one go about prepping and maintaining new rims I guess is what I`m trying to ask. :D

Here is what the stock rim looks like (not actual car pictured :D)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/slvr-bullet/2010-Mazda-MAZDA6-Sedan-i-SV-4dr-Sedan-Exterior-Wheelpng.jpg

slvr-bullet
09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Darn, just noticed I posted in the wrong section. Mods, please move to appropriate section. Thanks. :)

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 10:48 AM
detail brush, p21s wheel gel, clay, collinite 476, meg`s hyper dressing 4:1

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 10:59 AM
if you have the hardware, steamer, mf onr lube clay collinite 476

slvr-bullet
09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
And those steps will enable me to clean and seal the entire rim front to back? Or do I need to take them off?

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
well, I mean imo the best way is to take off the tire because even if you could reach behind the spokes--there`s no way to tell if you got it all.

I`m sure other people have better suggestions, but my brother has a protege, the P21S wheel gel got it the brake dust right off of the hub cap and the tires required some elbow grease but cleaning was much easier...

you CAN get a wheel sealant...but Collinite 476 works wonders imo (just make sure you don`t contaminate the whole tin by double dipping the pad) and since I use it for the rest of the car--it keeps things simple. I get like a butter knife or a tiny putty knife, and put about a teaspoon and that`s more or less enough to cover all four wheels.

IF you have the steam cleaner, then GENERALLY you don`t need chemicals (check out the steam cleaning thread on the green detailing section) and once you`re done--seal`er up...

there are a bunch of people who claybar before they seal...tbh I don`t bother only because my cars are sitting on stock rims (lexus/bmw) and the protege...I honestly don`t see the value in it (brother got it used and as it turned out he got himself a lemon)

And I highly doubt you`ll get any longevity from the ZAIO... if anything maybe you can use it to further clean your wheels?

slvr-bullet
09-19-2010, 08:54 AM
ok, thanks Alex.

What about future washes? Should I take the rims off every so often and thoroughly clean and re-seal them?

Alexshimshimhae
09-19-2010, 09:08 AM
I`d say that would be highly recommended esp since you wheels are probably the most abused part of your car imo. Routine washes I just ONR but to each their own..tbh I have yet to take off tires out of shear laziness but I`m sure I`ll pay for it when I finally get around to it

wascallyrabbit
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
taking off the wheels is the best way to clean and protect them. some sort of durable wax/sealant is the way to go (many to choose from; you could use zaino (not zaio) since you already have it on hand). for regular washing griots wheel cleaner is cost effective, or using an apc works well. i take my wheels off about once a year to throughly clean and reseal them other wise i just apply more sealant as best i can reach in the wheel about every 3-4 months or so. as for clean the barrels during regular washing any descent brush you can get in there will work just fine (i like the ace power stick, i don`t like the daytona or its copy because every time i pull the brush out it splatters me with little black dots).

slvr-bullet
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
lol, thanks guys.

Well I spent almost 6hrs straight doing a proper detail on my new car. Stripped everything off with dish soap and applied zaio, z2pro, and z6.

I didn`t even get to do the interior like I wanted because my whole body is aching.

I couldn`t take the wheels off because the jack point for the rear is too far in and my hydraulic jack`s handle does not extend that far :( So I did the best I could.

Alexshimshimhae
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
word to the wise--generally start inside and work your way out.

There was a thread here somewhere that explained why it made more sense--but pretty much the interior takes less energy so you`re good to go to do exterior--normally after you do an exterior--you`re too tired to do the interior..

slvr-bullet
09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
...and my situation is the prime example of this :D

Filed away for future reference ;)

Alexshimshimhae
09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
my problem is i hate doing interior so i avoid it all together lol

slvr-bullet
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
I don`t hate it, I just like the outside to look good more :D and with this new car I just picked up, I want to do everything right from the get-go.

Yo should see my old civic`s interior :shocked

Alexshimshimhae
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM
l o l I guess my biggest thing about the interior is I`m a big guy, and the interior with so many small crevices and nooks and crannies and awkward angles, and don`t get me started on carpet cleaning (especially when I have no pressurewasher, or extractor or ANYTHING)