PDA

View Full Version : Questions on how Polymers work.

joyriide1113
01-27-2006, 03:56 PM
My question is regarding "polymer sealants".

I love UPP`s look on dark grey metallics. I always was weary of using it on days with the clouds rolling by, with fear of it raining and it "drowning" the polymers.

Now, If i apply UPP tomorrow, it rains in the evening, obviously the durabilty would be compromised since the rain "drowned" the polymers without giving the sealant enough time to cure. My main question is if I would simply be able to apply another coat or would i have to strip the "drowned" polymers.

LOL... I didn`t know what else to call it. :boat:

JeffW
01-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Good question...one that I have often wondered as well.

Another question along the same line - I keep hearing people say that you don`t necessarily have to give the sealant time to cure if you`re gonna put wax on top. Now, waxes typically do not have as long a cure time requirement (if any) so does that mean the sealant is protected from the elements by the layer of wax even if it rains soon after application? (I could be all wet about the wax curing requirement - pune intended).

CharlesW
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I can`t help with the original question, but the not having to let sealants cure if you are going to put wax on top doesn`t seem like it would be a very good idea.

Charles

joyriide1113
01-27-2006, 04:18 PM
So does anyone if underlying "drowned" polymers let the top coat work?

JaredPointer
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
You know, I think I remember a thread a while back that addressed this. I can` remember what it said exactly, but I do remember that while some people say 24 hours is the "norm" for a polymer sealant to cure, others said that within 12 the sealant would be cured. I don`t remember, but if I come across it I will post the link.

chml17l
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
It seems that most water-based sealant makers recommend at least 12 hours for the polymer to cure. So does that imply that rained on polymer that is < 12 hours old is DOA. IMO, no. There are a host of environmental factors that affect the polymer curing--outside temp., paint temp., humidity, how thickly the polymer was applied, etc. You are still going to have some protection from the not fully cured polymer. There are probably times when the polymer will cure in < than 12 hours, too. It is just a recommendation from the manufacturer to help insure you get the maximum longevity/appearance from the sealant.

Joyride1113-- I don`t think you need to worrying about stripping uncured polymer. The solvents from the application of another layer will probably just remove any uncured polymer.

joe.p
01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Joyride,
This same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago with cooler temps.
I started to prep and seal in the afternoon and finished by 8:30 pm. by 7am the next morning it rained. I was wondering myself if the sealant had enough time to cure..

BigChevMan
01-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Polymers don`t "cure" by nature. They "crosslink" as Zaino likes to say. Think of this as you and a bunch of kids on the playground playing red rover and joining arms. The raindrops when called "redrover" come running over to the polymer and try to break through the chain bond that they have created, obviously grossly dumbed down, but you get the idea. You should be fine at 12 hours. But like stated...there is a great degree of factors that play a role in this. Temperature being the biggest one.