PDA

View Full Version : 476 what did I do wrong? Longevity issues

Alexshimshimhae
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok so I washed with onr, compounded with m105 and orange lc ccs and polished with m205

IPA`d then 476 with a microfiber pad and buffed off after i`d say 15 minutes

the car is a DD that`s left out in the sun

Now...It`s only been maybe 2 maybe three weeks but the hood the roof and the top of the trunk is dead in terms of beading--i noticed it this morning when i went to rinse off the fallen leaves because we had a crazy like 30 minute end of the world type monsoon storm ..

Any idea what could have done this? I mean I feel like I did something wrong because I find it hard to believe that sun would undo the 476 that easily..the rest of the car seems to be ok though...

JohnKleven
09-17-2010, 09:30 AM
It sounds like you probably just need to wash the car, and beading should come back. You may have some pitch, or just grime on the car that needs to be washed off.

John

Alexshimshimhae
09-17-2010, 09:38 AM
don`t get mad people but i touched the car with my finger thinking maybe it was dirt or pollen that was messing iwth it--i didn`t feel anything really...no dirt no dust no pollen...just paint... maybe i`ll wash just to be sure

imported_Amused
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Hood, roof, and trunk lid collect more contaminants than the vertical panels, therefore it`s natural for them to be affected more. Even if you don`t feel anything with a finger swipe, there are micro contaminants that can linger. So, it`s hard to gauge anything until you give it a quick wash. Rinsing helps, but it won`t remove the stubborn micro dust, etc. 476S should definitely last longer than 2-3 weeks even in the foulest of conditions.

As an aside, I`d suggest a foam applicator over a microfiber pad for application. MF is made to collect and not spread, so you`ll use less product in the end. You`ll also reduce (though minimally) your chance of marring the paint from a soiled MF applicator.

Accumulator
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Alexshimshimhae- While I haven`t parked a vehicle outside for a few weeks since forever, I`d sure expect the 476S to last longer than that unless you`re parked under a tree or otherwise exosing it to worse-than-average contamination. And if that`s the case, then the 476S still lasted longer than most other products would have.

And yeah, you just can`t evaluate it until it`s been properly washed.

FWIW, I wouldn`t go rising it off unless you`re doing that with deionized water, whatever the water leaves behind, it won`t be good for the LSP. Mineral residue/etc. from the water could be enough to severely compromise the LSP all by itself, or even etch the paint. I`d be more worried about that than I would be about most forms of "normal" contamination, by a long shot.

gigondaz
09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Ok so I washed with onr, compounded with m105 and orange lc ccs and polished with m205. IPA`d then 476 with a microfiber pad and buffed off after i`d say 15 minutes

the car is a DD that`s left out in the sun

There`s ONE possibility that could`ve affected 476`s durability - curing.

After you buffed off the 476, was the car left dry and sheltered for at least 12hours?

Alexshimshimhae
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
yea my whole block is lined with trees but i mean...sigh...i guess it`s bothering me more now that i can`t really do much about it since i`m still recovering but the winter`s coming around...maybe I`ll do a quick onr wash--and just tell myself everything is fine... lol

Alexshimshimhae
09-17-2010, 11:09 AM
when i applied it, I did leave it outside but humidity wasn`t high nor did it rain for at least a week

Accumulator
09-18-2010, 12:34 PM
I`ve never had to be especially careful about a just-Collinited vehicle :nixweiss

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 12:46 PM
yea, well my sister took the car for the week, so maybe when it gets back I`ll take another look at it

skuz
10-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Should last for quite a while. My pickup received it`s yearly detail this spring and waxed with 476. We`re now over 6 months later and it`s only been washed 3 times since. Still beads quite a lot. It receives a booster wax after a wash, but after over a month, I doubt there`s anything left of it and it`s back to the remaining 476 layer.