PDA

View Full Version : General pad selection for 105/205

Mr. Vapor
09-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi guys,

i`ve learned enough to be dangerous around cars at this point.

Using my PC 7424XP with the 105/205 combo, what pads would you recommend?

I currently have 4" Black, Blue, Orange.

My paint is in GOOD condition with minor surface marring from poor wash technique prior to educating myself.

I know this is a general statement and everything is on a case by case basis, but GENERALLY speaking, am i missing a pad that i absoluely should be using?

secondly, what are the thoughts on 4" pads?

Accumulator
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Mr. Vapor- The second Q is easier to answer- 4" pads are great for correction via PC, at least if you have hard clear. Only problem is that you`ll need a scad of them because they load up fast and M105 works best with clean/dry/fresh pads.

You might not see much functional diff between the black and blue pads, so you will probably need to use the orange ones for any correction. A few guys I respect have been doing a two-step with M105, using first the orange, leaving the residue on the paint, and then going over it again (also with M105) on a finishing pad. I haven`t tried that yet, and I dunno how they avoid micromarring from the M105 residue, but they say that leaves a wondeful, ready-to-wax finish. Just thought I`d mention is since you have some different finishing pads.

Otherwise, just plan to finish up with the M205 on either the black or blue pads.

Heh heh, that "just enough to be dangerous" *can* apply with M105, so don`t overdo it if you find some deep marring; just because you *can* fix stuff, that doesn`t mean you always should.

Alexshimshimhae
09-16-2010, 12:40 PM
I usually reach for orange lc ccs pads with 105 and then blck lc ccs with 205

Mr. Vapor
09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Great stuff here guys......i`m working with BMW paint (2006 M3).....

On a car of this size, how many orange pads would you think i should be using? i`m thinking 3?

Accumulator
09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Great stuff here guys......i`m working with BMW paint (2006 M3).....

On a car of this size, how many orange pads would you think i should be using? i`m thinking 3?

I`d probably want twice that many, depending on how much correction you`re doing. Better to have more than you need than not enough.

TLMitchell
09-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi guys,

i`ve learned enough to be dangerous around cars at this point.

Using my PC 7424XP with the 105/205 combo, what pads would you recommend?

I currently have 4" Black, Blue, Orange.

My paint is in GOOD condition with minor surface marring from poor wash technique prior to educating myself.

I know this is a general statement and everything is on a case by case basis, but GENERALLY speaking, am i missing a pad that i absoluely should be using?

secondly, what are the thoughts on 4" pads?

I find a white polishing pad indespensible, especially if you`re only dealing with mild marring. In the spirit of least aggressive first, you may be able to get away with 105/white or possibly even 205/white and use the black pad to bring up the gloss with 205 in a 2nd step. I really like working with 4" pads in tighter spots. On the wide open spaces like hoods, roof & trunk a larger pad will really save time. With a PC I get the best results with 5.5" pads and much better correction and control over 6" pads. YMMV.

TL

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 11:45 AM
i`m working with BMW paint (2006 M3) On a car of this size, how many orange pads would you think i should be using? i`m thinking 3?

I plan on buying up some more pads ... I just haven`t made up my mind on which ones are better (should i just buy the LC flats? Hydrotechs? ccs? meg`s? ahhhhhh :hairpull)

I THINK you`d be best to go LC white (i believe the flat and ccs have same cut...but someone correct me if I`m wrong please) and 205

and then 205 on lc grey to bring it up a notch if you wish.

I would probably say 4-6 to be on the safe side...though I`ll admit that I`ve been getting by on using 2 per car...but then again I could be not changing my pads when I should...but someone will have to enlighten me on that lol.

SO IMO:

White 205 (MAYBE spot 105 in some areas)

Grey/black 205 (optional imo, though for darker colors i`d say go for it)

4-6 pads for each step....

For me, I change pads when it cakes up or if I notice it getting dirty. AFter every panel, I wrap a mf around my finger, and run it from the center to the edge while running the machine to clean the pad.

gmblack3
09-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Flat pads work better then CCS via KBM.

The new flat thin tangerine 5.5" that CMA just came out with is supposed to give outstanding results.

Alexshimshimhae
09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
cma? I`m afraid I`m not familiar with that?

But from http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/128029-lake-country-tangerine-cyan-pads-post1406764.html#post1406764

It seems that the Hydro tech`s are like in betweens but in terms of performance I`m kind of curious if it was just a fad, because the thread just died off and it had some mixed reviews....

Accumulator
09-19-2010, 02:02 PM
cma? I`m afraid I`m not familiar with that?

That`s the old name for ProperAutoCare, some of us still call `em that. Link: ProperAutoCare -- Car Care Products, Best Car Waxes, Car Polishes, Auto Detailing Products, Car Buffers & Car Accessories (http://www.properautocare.com/)

It seems that the Hydro tech`s are like in betweens but in terms of performance I`m kind of curious if it was just a fad, because the thread just died off and it had some mixed reviews....

I never tried the HydroTechs, but the oh-so-similar (to the Tangerine HTs) Griot`s orange pads are still among my favorites. People get all revved up about new products, then the freshness-hype wears off and/or somebody else has issues...eh, I wouldn`t write off the HydroTech pads until you`ve tried `em on a few different applications. And remember that what`s perfect for one vehicle might not be so swell for the next ten you do anyhow.

Alexshimshimhae
09-19-2010, 02:04 PM
anything special about that particular vendor?

Accumulator
09-19-2010, 02:47 PM
anything special about that particular vendor?

Sometimes they have stuff that`s not (easily) found elsewhere. I haven`t dealt with `em since the new owners took over, but the previous folks were great to do business with. Plus, if it matters, some *HIGHLY* respected detailers are affiliated with CMA and their "Truth In Detailing" (TID) forum.

Alexshimshimhae
09-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Yea I seem to only hear mention of it from the big guys... maybe I`ll take a closer look at the place sometime