PDA

View Full Version : How to remove tree sap?

Pages : [1] 2

Denis54
09-10-2010, 12:54 PM
My daugter`s car has several tree sap spots. These have probably been sitting on the car for one month or more. So far they have proven to be very difficult to remove.

What should I use to remove them?

Alexshimshimhae
09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
ice cubes, claybar, polish, aio, ipa, mineral spirits, take your pick (not nec in that orsder of course)

Accumulator
09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
dennis54- Welcome to Autopia!

If all the stuff Alexshimshimhae suggested fails to get `em off, you might try the alkaline step of a decontamination system. Either FK1119 (available at AutoGeek) or AutoInt/ValuGard`s "A" (their site: http://www.autoint.com ). These products are sorta like "super shampoos" and they can really work well on tenacious stuff.

Showroom Shine
09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
The best and quickest way I have found to remove the gummy sticky glue like tree sap off the paint is laquer thinner or zylene. Do not use a rag! put on a rubber or plastic throw away glove. lightly rub the tree sap with a small amount of thinner. It will break down and disappear pretty quick. Afterwards put some wax on the spot to restore the shine!

akimel
09-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Stoner`s Tarminator works for me. The NAPA store ordered a can for me. They got it in 24 hours.

JohnKleven
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Isopropyl Alcohol.

crc1
09-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I use a single edge razor blade with a small piece of masking tape wrapped around each corner of the blade. This keeps the corners of the blade from scrathing the surface, and leaves about an inch of the blade exposed. Press enough on the center of the blade to make contact with the surface and lightly scrape most of the sap off. Then it`s much easier to remove the rest with your chemical cleaner. It works best on dried sap, but helps on the gooey stuf too.

Alexshimshimhae
09-21-2010, 10:12 AM
that sounds risky =[

Accumulator
09-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I`d use a *plastic* razor blade myself (if trying that).

crc1
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
It is risky - that`s why I emphasized "lightly", but it`s fast and it works. The corners of the blade are most likely to scratch, that`s why the masking tape. Press very lightly, you can feel as you go. At first you are cutting only shavings of the sap. The point is just to get the sap thin enough for the liquid solutions to work.

tguil
09-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Iso alcohol, mineral spirits, Prep Sol all will work eventually most of the time. I read on another forum to compound the sap-spotted area first. This will allow the solvents to work better. Makes sense to me. Oh, make sure you allow the solvents time to work.

lee@glosshaus
09-27-2010, 05:44 PM
50/50 IPA and Water has almost always worked for me. Then I`d go to Tarminator. Get it off sooner than later or it can etch your paint (if it hasn`t already)

Hellishness
09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
WD40

No clue if it`s completely safe on paint, but it`s fine for windows at least. I think it should be okay on paint. Ice is good if it`s dry.

Dan
09-27-2010, 08:00 PM
50/50 IPA and Water has almost always worked for me. Then I`d go to Tarminator. Get it off sooner than later or it can etch your paint (if it hasn`t already)

^^^This. Start with gentle, then move up.

Junebug
09-28-2010, 06:49 AM
I did a Grand Prix that had sat under a tree for 3 years - every night. The owner ( a lady) didn`t seem to notice till most of the car had a good layer of sap. I washed, sprayed Goo Gone, said a prayer, and it bubbled it up. It`s nasty stuff to wash off so plan on another wash to remove the crud off, but it did the job.