PDA

View Full Version : Plastic trim detailer keeps running onto paint

gto78
09-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Hey, got a basic question I think. I just bought an Expedition, which has the black plastic side mirrors with the black plastic triangle trim piece that holds it onto the door. The plastic looks a little faded so I made sure to detail as usual. The next time it rained I end up with streaks running down the door, from the plastic detailer coming off.

I`ve tried GM Vehiclecare Trim Detailer, Armor All trim detailer, and even a few different brands of rubber & tire dressings that dry and don`t sling. Normally I always use the GM trim detailer, lasts a long time and looks great. However this is the first vehicle I`ve had a problem with it streaking and coming off, onto my paint. Looks horrible, it`s like none of the brands want to adhere to the plastic.

I tried scrubbing the plastic and washing with Westleys, and wiping clean with alcohol. It didn`t seem to help.

Any suggestions for a natural finish looking detail for hard black plastic, that dries and won`t streak?

David Fermani
09-08-2010, 09:26 PM
This can especially suck if your truck is a dark color. Florida sun sure can beat up black textured trim. I`d toothbrush scubb it with APC and avoid oil/solvent based dressings. Some might suggest a product called Black Wow, but I prefer using a water based dressing. When you do, apply it to a totally clean surface, allow it to wet/dry and do a good wipe down to remove any excess.

Accumulator
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
gto78- I almost always use a LSP-based approach, usually the Klasse twins. Yeah, on exterior black plastic trim. The KAIO cleans off the oxidized material leaving things OK-looking, and the KSG does the protection. I spritz a little FK425 or somesuch QD on it after each wash but other than that it stays maintenance-free for a long time (how long depends on how many layers of KSG I use).

The [EDIT: ULTIMA, not Sonus as originally posted :o ] trim/rubber sealant seems to work well too, but I generally just use that on rubber (after cleaning with Griot`s Rubber Prep, a true miracle product).

No, the above approaches don`t give quite the same look as an ERV dressing, but they don`t run, or need redone regularly, either.

imported_01GreyStangGT
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I like Poorboy`s world`s trim detailer and MEguiar`s Ultimate Protectant. They hold up very well on my explorer plastic.

Dan
09-10-2010, 09:36 AM
The Sonus trim/rubber sealant seems to work well too, but I generally just use that on rubber (after cleaning with Griot`s Rubber Prep, a true miracle product).

Accumulator, which Sonus product are you referring to?

Accumulator
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Accumulator, which Sonus product are you referring to?

Had to run out to the shop and see...wanted to get it right :D And sure enough...."oops!" :o

It`s not Sonus, it`s "Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus+"

Like the Griot`s stuff, it`s a pricey little bottle, but man-oh-man is it working well for the few things I use it on.

Jesstzn
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
I have used Forever Black tire gel applied with a cheap yellow kitchen sponge .... its a water based dye and dries in a few minutes. Apply 3 coats then your good for 20+ washes and it doesn`t run. Make sure you mask off the painted area around where your working. Dries to a matte finish.

quiksilver81
09-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I didnt read throught all the post so I dont know if this was mentioned but when I had my non-claded Avalanche I tried many things on the top panels and storage areas and they all ran after a rain or wash. The only thing that I found to last a very long time was Carsystems Refinish Restorer, CARSYSTEM Refinish Restorer 1L (http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html). Its a little pricy but its for 1L and it will last at least a half of year and you want to make sure that you dont get any on the paint or glass. It kind of smelled and looked like a varnish when applied. Check out these post on the Avalanche forums for some before and after pics. Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Refinish Restorer Before/After pics (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSID=40628b7fc042a512c997ba1255631a 69&topic=101061.0)

gto78
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Great advice everyone. I think after seeing the before/after pics I`m sold on the CARSYSTEM RR. Looks awesome, and last long time...perfect. I just hope that container it comes in doesn`t rust or get sealed shut, it`s a tin can. I also want to try a few of the water based systems, whatever has a semi gloss finish is good.