PDA

View Full Version : Paint Failure Correction?? Expert Advise Needed....

imported_JoshVette
08-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I have a client about 8 hours away who is asking about getting his paint fixed. He sent me these pics.

It looks to me like clear coat failure and my thoughts are to fully wetsand the areas and buff it all out. However I`m not sure that will make it perfect again....

The main question I have is if I manage to clean up the damaged area, if it`s paint failure will it come back? or by thinning the clear can I actually accelerate the problem?

Before my client drive 8 hours and spends 4 figures I`d like to ensure the problem will not come back any time soon?

I know it`s only a guessing game but please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Josh

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/Joshvette/Detailing%202010/57%20chevy%20paint%20failure/57chevy1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/Joshvette/Detailing%202010/57%20chevy%20paint%20failure/57chevy4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/Joshvette/Detailing%202010/57%20chevy%20paint%20failure/57chevy5.jpg

RaskyR1
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
If it is clear coat failure I would tell him to spend his money on a repaint. Hard to tell from the pics really. Almost looks like the start of check cracking too....

How fast it comes back really depends on the elements it`s subject to but I honestly wouldn`t take it on if it were me unless they are well aware of what will happen. Wet sanding sounds risky too.

Wonder if some Opti-Coat will help it? :)

imported_JoshVette
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
If it is clear coat failure I would tell him to spend his money on a repaint. Hard to tell from the pics really. Almost looks like the start of check cracking too....

How fast it comes back really depends on the elements it`s subject to but I honestly wouldn`t take it on if it were me unless they are well aware of what will happen. Wet sanding sounds risky too.

The owner and I have talked several times at length about it and he really does not want to have to repaint it as he`s already got 100K+ invested in this car and fears the new paint might not match or whatever.... I told him it looked like early stages of CC failure and not sure if it can be removed and if so will it be a permanent fix as it could come back.

The car is always garaged and trailered around so...

He is dead set on me fixing his car despite our discussions so I`m trying to do some homework about this first.

thanks, Josh

Alexshimshimhae
08-26-2010, 03:05 PM

After that opti-coat thread (he sanded off the clear) I think it would do it

RaskyR1
08-26-2010, 03:22 PM
After that opti-coat thread (he sanded off the clear) I think it would do it

Well David didn`t sand off all the clear, but he removed enough to warrant possible pre-mature CC failure.

Josh, if he`s that dead set on doing it and knows the risk then I say go for it. Couldn`t tell what kind of car it was or the value, but since it`s valued so high it`s probably worth a shot. I would definitely look into the Opti-Coat as a preventative measure though.

You see this thread Josh?

Optimum Opti-Coat Review - Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3469&highlight=Opti-Coat)

imported_JoshVette
08-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry, the car is a 57 chevy, repainted about 10 years ago, highly modified and heavily invested in. ;)

Thanks for the link, looks like after a few weeks that car started to oxidize again but not quite as bad. The lighting in those pics is horrible for a testing thread....

That car looks like oxidation, mine looks more like hash marks or micro cracking, not sure if they can be dealt with the same.

I know it`s a guessing game at this point but I need to do my homework on paint failure correction before all this happens.

Josh

David Fermani
08-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I`d try doing a heavy sand (1500 grit Trizact) and coat it with Opti-Coat. If that doesn`t work; it`s time for a repaint.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/131695-extreme-enough-turning-16-yrs-old-charcoal-paint-mirror-finish-newbie-rotary.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/126734-charcoal-challenge-impossible-make-possible.html

imported_JoshVette
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
thanks, if this car is only oxidized I would not be worried about it as I know I can handle that no problem, but from the pics it looks as though the paint is starting to crack, it looks pretty clear all around the area not hazy or foggy at all. Once I see it in person I will have a better idea, it`s an 8 hour drive so I`m wanting all the ammunition I can get at this point.

I`m curious though if I can remove this cracking will it come back? does anyone experience with this type of issue?

David, I was thinking the same thing about sanding it with sanding disc, I`ve got some on order. Just facing something I haven`t dealt with before and not sure I want too, but I know it will be a good learning experience for me.

Josh

uniquedetailing
08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
you might want to just look into sanding the clear back and then re-shooting the clear. i have the same problems with my black passat, cc failure, we ended up sanded the clear back and shooting new clear.

Barry Theal
08-26-2010, 11:18 PM
That needs a repaint. It won`t be corrected.

Scottwax
08-26-2010, 11:38 PM

What Barry said. Once it starts cracking/crazing like that, game over.

imported_BobbyG
08-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Even though we have more options today then ever, the products and machines can only do so much. Checking and cracking of a finish indicates that it`s separating from the substrate or finish below. What`s probably happened is the paint and or clear finish was applied to thick and has begun to separate. In my opinion any good paint shop with todays color matching technology can mix the paint to match near perfect.

Can you improve what`s shown above, probably a little but it`ll be temporary.

Final Touch
08-27-2010, 05:36 AM
The clearcoat`s goosed, if he`s going to spend 4 figures with you and already has in excess of 100K invested in the car I believe the best thing you can do for your customer is to recommend he goes to a decent paintshop. He`ll come back to you later and thank you for the advice.

imported_JoshVette
08-27-2010, 11:39 AM
you might want to just look into sanding the clear back and then re-shooting the clear. i have the same problems with my black passat, cc failure, we ended up sanded the clear back and shooting new clear.

Thanks, I will make all these suggestions to the client. If it needs to be recleared then its` out of my league for now.

thanks,

What Barry said. Once it starts cracking/crazing like that, game over.

Right, I figured but wanted to check my trusted sources first to get a second opinion, I feel I would better serve my client by researching the problem and not just going with what I feel based on my own experiences. two heads better then one....

Even though we have more options today then ever, the products and machines can only do so much. Checking and cracking of a finish indicates that it`s separating from the substrate or finish below. What`s probably happened is the paint and or clear finish was applied to thick and has begun to separate. In my opinion any good paint shop with todays color matching technology can mix the paint to match near perfect.

Can you improve what`s shown above, probably a little but it`ll be temporary.

thank you for your insight.

Josh

imported_JoshVette
08-27-2010, 11:42 AM
The clearcoat`s goosed, if he`s going to spend 4 figures with you and already has in excess of 100K invested in the car I believe the best thing you can do for your customer is to recommend he goes to a decent paintshop. He`ll come back to you later and thank you for the advice.

I`ve already looked into this and recommended it as well, it`s a last resort but sounds like what I`m going to have to do.

I`ll eventually get the car in person, do some testing and give my honest opinion to the client after I play with the paint a little.

Thanks everyone.

Josh