PDA

View Full Version : Need a honda soft black paint polish combo

Pages : [1] 2

schiddy
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
After practice on a couple of cars, I`m ready to tackle my daily driver, honda soft black with flake paint 07 civic si.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/DSCF0261.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff138/tsenfw/IMG00327.jpg

Moderate to heavy scratches in some spots. Uniform swirls entire car.

I plan on using m105/m205 that I`ve been learning with on a griot`s DA with 4" hydrotech pads. My plan is to correct to the best of my ability and then seal with BFWD and maybe top with a nuba ... or not.

Of course I have to test a section but I`m guessing something like:

M105 on Cyan 4" Hydrotech

M205 on Tangerine 4" Hydrotech

Since this is my personal car, will I get a noticeable gloss/wow factor with a 3rd final polish added or a different combo? Such as PO85RD or FPII on a finishing pad? Using search, saw one person say PO85RD was a nightmare on black honda paint but FPII was killer. Then others saying PO85RD worked great for them on honda paint.

onlycodered
08-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I`m interested as well seeing as I have the same exact car. Haha

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

schiddy
08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
How soft has it been for you? I haven`t swirled or scratched it myself yet, or at least noticed. There is A LOT of scratches and battle wounds for an 07 already on it. I`m guessing this paint scratches if you even look at it the wrong way.

PS: Really like the color, in my limited exposure to hondas I`ve only seen it on Si`s. Or maybe I just never payed close attention to hondas haha. Nice rich dark black, with tons of small purple blueish flakes in it, only visible in direct sun.

onlycodered
08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I actually got mine used a couple months ago. The previous owner scratched up the trunk pretty good.

This is the first black Honda I`ve owned but I`ve heard a lot about Hondas having soft paint.

jsilas
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I`ve got a Honda CBP black paint (Acura TSX) that`s fairly soft and have achieved good results just using Griot`s Machine Polish 3. Of course, it`s not very aggressive, so if you`re already learning with 105/205, I`d say stick with that.

Jumpingbean
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
You`re going to do the whole car with 4" pads only?

schiddy
08-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I actually got mine used a couple months ago. The previous owner scratched up the trunk pretty good.

This is the first black Honda I`ve owned but I`ve heard a lot about Hondas having soft paint.

Pretty much exact same for me, bought mine a few months ago too. Top of truck lid has few deep scratches, showing adhesive padding from spoiler. And top of bumper at trunk opening is scuffed all to hell.

Here`s what scottwax did with just m105/m205 in one of his recent posts:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/131945-g35-civic-si-10-740il-escalade-all-black.html#post1402925

RaskyR1
08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
You will likely see a marginal improvement following up M205/tangerine with either FPII or PO85RD but I`ve been able to finish down very well with M205 on NHBP paint....though I used a Crimson LC pad.

Shouldn`t really need 4" pads for the finishing steps either IMO.

schiddy
08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I`ve got a Honda CBP black paint (Acura TSX) that`s fairly soft and have achieved good results just using Griot`s Machine Polish 3. Of course, it`s not very aggressive, so if you`re already learning with 105/205, I`d say stick with that.

Thinking adding a finer finishing polish would make a difference?

You`re going to do the whole car with 4" pads only?

Yes, unfortunately. Probably gonna do the car over the course of a few days, doing certain panels at a time. Pretty tiring I know. I`m learning so a rotary is out of the question, can`t afford more than the griots 6" DA I have now, and nothing above 4" is going to be productive on this thing.

schiddy
08-24-2010, 02:21 PM
[quote name=`RaskyR1`]You will likely see a marginal improvement following up M205/tangerine with either FPII or PO85RD but I`ve been able to finish down very well with M205 on NHBP paint....though I used a Crimson LC pad.

Shouldn`t really need 4" pads for the finishing steps either IMO.

Really!?! I didn`t know this, I was under the impression that 4" had to be used for all steps on a machine of this power. So you think it`s adequate for a 6" no cut hydrotech pad to finish after m105 on 4" Cyan hydrotech pad? What speed should I use, highest?

RaskyR1
08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
[quote name=`jsilas`]

Really!?! I didn`t know this, I was under the impression that 4" had to be used for all steps on a machine of this power. So you think it`s adequate for a 6" no cut hydrotech pad to finish after m105 on 4" Cyan hydrotech pad? What speed should I use, highest?

I`ve actually never really had any trouble getting correction on 6.5" pads unless it`s rock hard clear like BMW or Audi. Regardless 4" pads should only be needed during the initial correction steps as the defects you are trying to remove tend to be much deeper. The light micro marring M105 leaves behind should easily be cleared up with a 6.5" pad even on an old school PC.

I would actually follow your M105/cyan with the M205/tangerine pad as already planned, but I was saying that following it with M205 on a 3rd step using the Crimson or even a red/blue LC pad may have the same result as following with FPII or PO85RD. ;)

Note that if you do use M205/Crimson as a 3rd step that you don`t need/want to work it very long. I use speed 6 for correction and 4-5 for the final finishing with M205. If you use Menzerna I would start out at speed with and once it start to break down bump down to speed 4-5.

schiddy
08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
[quote name=`schiddy`]

I would actually follow your M105/cyan with the M205/tangerine pad as already planned, but I was saying that following it with M205 on a 3rd step using the Crimson or even a red/blue LC pad may have the same result as following with FPII or PO85RD. ;)

Note that if you do use M205/Crimson as a 3rd step that you don`t need/want to work it very long. I use speed 6 for correction and 4-5 for the final finishing with M205. If you use Menzerna I would start out at speed with and once it start to break down bump down to speed 4-5.

So these M205 and Menzerna instructions are assuming 6.5" pads right?

RaskyR1
08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
[quote name=`RaskyR1`]

So these M205 and Menzerna instructions are assuming 6.5" pads right?

Should work for any size pad really, though you may not need speed 6 with a 4" pad. Regardless, just make sure your pad is always rotating (a mark with a sharpie on the backing plate helps).

Honestly, on soft Honda paint you should have no trouble getting good correction with M105 on a 6.5" pad. Though 4" pads would be beneficial at removing deeper scratches (RIDS). The only time I really use 4" pads is for tight areas or a few RIDS. On a small car like the Civic 5.5" is probably the best all around pad choice, but for larger cars with more surface area to cover I like using the 6.5".

Smaller pads on a DA can definitely cut faster, but they also cover less area. On a car with soft paint where correction comes easy, the smaller pads just don`t make sense IMO.

Still, if your happy with the results you are getting with 4" pads don`t feel like you have to change your process simply because I don`t use them. Just listing what has worked for me. ;)

FWIW my wife`s Acura is NHBP and I also owned a `06 Civic Si myself.

Rasky

schiddy
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
[quote name=`schiddy`]

Should work for any size pad really, though you may not need speed 6 with a 4" pad. Regardless, just make sure your pad is always rotating (a mark with a sharpie on the backing plate helps).

Honestly, on soft Honda paint you should have no trouble getting good correction with M105 on a 6.5" pad. Though 4" pads would be beneficial at removing deeper scratches (RIDS). The only time I really use 4" pads is for tight areas or a few RIDS. On a small car like the Civic 5.5" is probably the best all around pad choice, but for larger cars with more surface area to cover I like using the 6.5".

Smaller pads on a DA can definitely cut faster, but they also cover less area. On a car with soft paint where correction comes easy, the smaller pads just don`t make sense IMO.

Still, if your happy with the results you are getting with 4" pads don`t feel like you have to change your process simply because I don`t use them. Just listing what has worked for me. ;)

FWIW my wife`s Acura is NHBP and I also owned a `06 Civic Si myself.

Rasky

NHBP = newer honda black paint?

Def appreciate the first hand experience with NHBP and even on the same gen Si, thanks man! I have to pick up some pads anyways so I`ll try 6.5" to fit the 6" backing plate that I already have.

jsilas
08-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Thinking adding a finer finishing polish would make a difference?

Possibly. I have their Machine Polish 4 which might add something extra to the finish. It`s tough to say.