PDA

View Full Version : Need a product that wont do this when it rains!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Soilsample
08-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi everybody!

I`m currently using Poor Boy`s trim detailer. I`ve used a few other products.....

but when I use these products, they all cause a mess after a rain.

My truck is still fairly clean, but these streaks make it look bad.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4908781884_896271fd00.jpg

Setec Astronomy
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
One thing that usually helps with these kind of products is to buff them dry with a towel after application. You could also try a less oily product like the new Meguiar`s Ultimate Trim Detailer (I`ve had pretty good success with this but others not so much), or a really not oily product like the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (I think I got that right), or one of the other WOWA sealants.

Alex T.
08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
+1 on the Ultima. So far the only one that didn`t streak. Only downfall is price :scared:

Soilsample
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow I was going to try the ultima..... But it`d be over $40 shipped!!!!

I`m all for the good stuff, but I think I can put up with a few streaks for that much $$$

Thanks

Donald

The Wraith
08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
One thing that usually helps with these kind of products is to buff them dry with a towel after application. You could also try a less oily product like the new Meguiar`s Ultimate Trim Detailer (I`ve had pretty good success with this but others not so much), or a really not oily product like the Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (I think I got that right), or one of the other WOWA sealants.

^^^ Agreed!!! Buff it dry, and you should be good to go!

Legacy
08-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Wow I was going to try the ultima..... But it`d be over $40 shipped!!!!

I`m all for the good stuff, but I think I can put up with a few streaks for that much $$$

Thanks

Donald

It`s the best 40 bucks you`ll spend for a trim protectant. Going on 4 months on a daily driver with no garage. A bottle will last you several years.

Barry Theal
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Why not just keep them clean and natural looking. It would solve the problem permantly. I hate dressing all together.

Camaro5Ryan
08-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Adam`s SuperVRT

Concourswanna b
08-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I was thinking the same as Setec said - just buff the heck out of it after ap to "set it in." That looks like that type of plastic that wont really absorb anything though.

Accumulator
08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I generally use a LSP-based approach for plastics like that..the Klasse twins or Colinite 845.

I have tried the Ultima stuff on a few pieces and it worked great, certainly didn`t run/etc. or anything like that.

imported_gusbubba
08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I generally use a LSP-based approach for plastics like that..the Klasse twins or Colinite 845.

Was never adventurous enough to try 845 on plastic (have used it on rubber window seals) for fear of staining.

Would you suggest something like KAIO first to seal the plastic, then 845.....or can you apply 845 directly?

Accumulator
08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
gusbubba- Some might say that trying it on rubber was even *more* adventurous than trying it on plastic ;) I`ve had very few instances where the LSP-based approach didn`t work out, and in those cases staining wasn`t a significant part of the problem (came right off with the Autoglym Bumper Care that I ended up using instead).

And yeah, I do generally precede it with something like KAIO, or sometimes (can you believe this one?!? :eek: ) 1Z Paint Polish.

Legacy
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Why not just keep them clean and natural looking. It would solve the problem permantly. I hate dressing all together.

How do you do that Barry if it`s worn and chalky? No heat gun for me.

Accumulator
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
How do you do that .. if it`s worn and chalky? No heat gun for me.

That`s when I get aggressive with polishes/strong AIOs. Cleans off the oxidation and/or the topmost "dead" layer of plastic.

But OK, I wouldn`t be surprised if some surfaces are just too far gone for that approach :think: Haven`t encountered that yet though, and I`ve dealt with some pretty trashed trim on my beaters.

Legacy
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
That`s when I get aggressive with polishes/strong AIOs. Cleans off the oxidation and/or the topmost "dead" layer of plastic.

But OK, I wouldn`t be surprised if some surfaces are just too far gone for that approach :think: Haven`t encountered that yet though, and I`ve dealt with some pretty trashed trim on my beaters.Not doubting you, but I`ve used some strong APC`s and never got the trim back to it`s original look without a dressing. Am I missing something?