PDA

View Full Version : RANT: Why don`t people clean Gas/Brake Pedals??

Pages : [1] 2

David Fermani
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Every time I look through the Click N Brags I can`t help to notice people doing a lousy job cleaning Gas & Brake pedals. Why? How can you clean and interior but not clean probably the dirtiest part of it? I`ve seen some people claim they avoid these parts due to safety concerns but that`s total BS. Yeah, not a real good idea to dress them, but atleast clean them. I personally use APC & a toothbrush to really get deep into the groves. Sometimes I`ll do 2-3 applications. Time to step up your game boys...

maxepr1
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Dave, I always clean pedals. I think that there are just sexier parts of the car (rims,engines) than the pedals! You`re right they are the nastest parts of the interior, even worse than cupholders sometimes!!

Dan
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Every time I look through the Click N Brags I can`t help to notice people doing a lousy job cleaning Gas & Brake pedals. Why? How can you clean and interior but not clean probably the dirtiest part of it? I`ve seen some people claim they avoid these parts due to safety concerns but that`s total BS. Yeah, not a real good idea to dress them, but atleast clean them. I personally use APC & a toothbrush to really get deep into the groves. Sometimes I`ll do 2-3 applications. Time to step up your game boys...

Gotta add that to my 2 hour routine! Seriously though, IMO the worst is steering wheels and gear shifters that get no love. Its amazing at the amount of dirt that comes off them if you actually bother to clean them.

BigAl3
08-19-2010, 02:44 PM
agreed david. last week when i vacuumed my car and took out the floor mats, i noticed that the pedals could use some tlc and i used some APC and brush to clean them. it makes sense to clean them as you touch them the most and with the most dirty part of what you are wearing, your shoes...

RaskyR1
08-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I`ll give them a quick once over with APC and a brush but IMO it`s a waste of time trying to make them look perfect. As soon as you step in the car to back it out it`s dirt again. I feel the same way about wheel wells on daily driver cars too. I`ll make them look nice, but I`m not going to spend all day on them.

Just my $.02 ;)

This is about the extent I`ll go on pedals...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2009/IMG_0537.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/2009/IMG_0588.jpg

trhland
08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
i give mine a quick spray with 1z cockpit and adgitate with a brush and wipe. i dont go to crazy

Bigpoppa3346
08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Rasky, those pedals look great, I think David is talking about when people don`t even attempt to clean them (no need to go over them with Q-Tips or toothpicks IMO). I typically give them a good soak with APC and scrub well with a toothbrush, then thoroughly "rinse" with a damp MF.

And yeah, the whole safety thing is BS, no way are CLEAN pedals a safety concern. It`s dressing them that might lead to trouble (and even then, you would need to be using some oily solvent based dressing, which belongs nowhere near the interior anyways).

Barry Theal
08-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I always lay masking tape on them after I clean them. This way once it gets final parked I pull of the tape and kaboom its still clean. How about that. Its called detailing for a reason.. Get it all. I agree with ya here Dave. On a side note David how is life treating you? Do you need me to pray for you? Do you need some loving? :nana:

bill57
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
A foot can slip off a pedal. No BS.

salty
08-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I do it a different way. When shampooing the carpet they get done. After all done and I pull the car out it, it gets a wipe with a MF, as I always have one handy for final touch up.

Concourswanna b
08-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I`m just a hobby guy but I usually clean `em. My wife just loves seeing me clean a grimy brake pedal pad in the kitchen sink with a toothbrush.

Gas pedal gets #39 with some towels under it to catch dirty water. Not every single time though.

schiddy
08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
kaboom

Kaboom! haahaha that`s great

kkreit01
08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I think every pedal deserves AmorAll Extreme Shine Gel :)

Accumulator
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
I`ll give them a quick once over with APC and a brush but IMO it`s a waste of time trying to make them look perfect. As soon as you step in the car to back it out it`s dirt again. I feel the same way about wheel wells on daily driver cars too....

Differing experience here. As long as I give `em a quick once-over at every wash they stay nice and clean, even in the winter.

While the wells do take a little time (as does the undercarriage), the pedals can go fast. I often just lay an old towel under them, spritz on a little APC, and hit `em with the steamer. Seems to work especially well in the winter what with the salt/etc.

Kean
08-20-2010, 05:00 PM
A foot can slip off a pedal. No BS. ....he is talking about cleaning the pedals, not dressing them with a slick product.

I don’t do this stuff for a living, but even I will occasionally hit mine with a solution of Meguiars APC, agitate with a brush and then rinse them off with water from a spray bottle. In many cases (especially during the summer months) a quick wipe down is all that is needed as I’m vacuuming.