PDA

View Full Version : The 2 hour "detail"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dan
08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Just curious as to what you guys would do to the "average" car if you had two hours. By average I mean:

-moderately swirled paint

-dirty wheels

-some minor interior staining

-moderate surface contamination

Time break down would be cool...

I would:

Interior vacuum and spot treat - 15 min

Wipe down interior panels and treat with OLC - 15 min

Quick window clean - 5 min

FOAM and powerwash exterior and treat wheels - 15 min

ONR wash and clay the car - 30 min

Polish with Megs D151 - 30 minutes

Dress tires - 5 minutes

Optiseal Paint - 5 minutes

Alexshimshimhae
08-18-2010, 11:35 AM
dag...i take forever doing that but kudos to you for getting that done lol

Accumulator
08-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Regulars here know that I can seldom even *wash* in just two hours, but I`ve had to do some really quickie jobs before (for decidedly non-Autopian pals). Can`t help with the timeline breakdown as I was simply hustling too much.

Heh heh, I`m the last guy to provide a good answer to this one, just thought I`d post how I *did* handle it since it`s soooo out of character for me to do something like this :D

Body/paint:

-Wash with alkaline portion of decontamination system, maybe claying while doing this (yeah, it sure does eat up the clay fast)

-Dry

-One-step with something like Autoglym SRP

-W-O-W-O with Collinite 476S or 845

Wheels/tires/wells:

-Rinse, presoak with APC (used EFHI)

-Acidic wheel cleaner

-Scrub as best I could without getting fancy about it

-Dress tires

Interior:

-Vacuum

-APC on stained (non-leather) surfaces

-Quick steaming of some areas

-Meg`s #39 (is that the right number? I mean the cleaner/dressing combo product :think: ) if time permits or Meg

`s Interior QD

Glass:

-Whatever you can do fastest (exterior glass should be sorta-OK from the wash)

A recent example: a pal I work dogs with had his white Kennel-van get covered with latex housepaint overspray. He (zero detailing experience/knowledge) and I got it done in just a little more than the hour he had scheduled to work my dogs, but we didn`t do the interior. Best that van`s ever looked, even if it was really half-@$$ed by Autopian standards.

Dan
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
dag...i take forever doing that but kudos to you for getting that done lol

Yeah, it by no means is a complete detail, but just something I do for friends and family, but I`m always looking to speed it up even more. The above always wows them but I always want to refine the process.

Lonnie
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Yakky:

What is OCL on the interior??

Can you completely apply Opti-Seal to an car`s exterior in 5 minutes??:nervous:

David Fermani
08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldn`t Foam, Clay, OLC or Polish it that`s for sure.

I`d do a complete exterior wash w/AM Hydro Shine and clean the interior. 2 hours in pretty tough unless you`re set up to do high speed volume.

Old Pirate
08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow, it takes me 2 hrs just to wash it. I must be getting old.................:hide:

Accumulator
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow, it takes me 2 hrs just to wash it. I must be getting old...

More likely you`re just doing it right. When washing vehicles I care about, 2 hours would probably be a new record.

Dan
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Yakky:

What is OCL on the interior??

Can you completely apply Opti-Seal to an car`s exterior in 5 minutes??:nervous:

Optimum Leather Care, great stuff, but it stinks. And yeah, Optisealing a car is cake, takes about as much time as drying.

Dan
08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Wow, it takes me 2 hrs just to wash it. I must be getting old.................:hide:

Lol. I spend quite a while on my own cars too, but when it comes to bang per buck, or time in this case, I`m curious as to what everyone else is doing. I thought for sure people would have more aggressive routines than mine.

Dan
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM

I find that if I foam and blast the big chunks of dirt off, I can ONR faster and with less fear of marring. When I am done with the powerwash, all that is left on the surface is the oily grime that powerwashing never seems to take off.

salty
08-20-2010, 12:29 AM
The auto auction guys do it in an hour or so.

Guess what it looks and smells like. But $85 an hour is good coin.

vtec92civic
08-20-2010, 01:24 AM
Just curious as to what you guys would do to the "average" car if you had two hours. By average I mean:

-moderately swirled paint

-dirty wheels

-some minor interior staining

-moderate surface contamination

Time break down would be cool...

I would:

Interior vacuum and spot treat - 15 min

Wipe down interior panels and treat with OLC - 15 min

Quick window clean - 5 min

FOAM and powerwash exterior and treat wheels - 15 min

ONR wash and clay the car - 30 min

Polish with Megs D151 - 30 minutes

Dress tires - 5 minutes

Optiseal Paint - 5 minutes

I wish i could move that quick. Some vehicles take me a good 45 minutes or so just to do the wheels. If i could move that fast i could charge a little less and maybe have a little more work. How do you move so quick LoL.

I`d do a complete exterior wash w/AM Hydro Shine and clean the interior. 2 hours in pretty tough unless you`re set up to do high speed volume.

David you are the first person i have heard of that uses AM Hydro Shine. What is your process for that and does it have any sort of protection in it? I have that in my arsenal and have used it for a while but not lately.

GaryDM
08-21-2010, 12:08 PM
This would be the way I would do it if I had 2 hours, medium size vehicles. I allow 3 hours for large vehicles. I like to keep it simple. I do the same to all vehicles unless the customer requests polish and wax or clean leather, cloth, interior, ect. My prices are for small, medium and large vehicles, 3 separate prices. I do this to all vehicles in this order. Hope I`ve not left any step out. To do this much in this amount of time will work your a** off. Sometime the customer don`t want inside cleaned so we discount from my price.

#1. I remove mat, floor mats, vacuum and wash them first, they may need more time to dry if the are carpet type rather that vinyl.

#2. I vacuum inside, and trunk and all carpeted area.

#3. Wipe inside down with damp microfiber that`s been treated with cleaner, dash, door panels, seats, console, every sq inch of inside. I clean door jams here also while I have all doors and hood, trunk open.

#4 Treat inside with dressing and trim restorer, dash, door panels, console and all vinyl areas.

#5. Close all doors and wash complete exterior, doing tires first and then they are last to final rinse.

#6. Completely dry down exterior, wipe down door jams wiping excess water out, trunk, hood and gas lid.

#7 use detail spray on all exterior, and trim restorer on exterior vinyl, and tire shine to tires.

#8 clean all windows, inside and out, doing the outside first

#9 put floor mats back in and I`m done.

mdbohica
08-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Perhaps I should refine my technique a bit...It took me 2 hours (dismissing drying time) to detail my WHEELS this weekend...hmmm