PDA

View Full Version : Good Clay for newbie?

john1r
08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Branching off from my recent thread about what type of lubricant to use for clay (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/131934-what-type-lubricant-use-clay.html), I wanted to take a step back and ask about what type of clay would be good for a newbie. At the moment I`ve narrowed it down to these two based on reviews from this (and other) forums:

Meguiar`s C-2000 Professional Detailing Clay, Mild

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

As far as I can tell most people commented they these were less marring and would provide the least opportunity for me to mess something up.

If anyone has any other thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a brand new, 2010 black audi that I`m just looking to maintain. It`s pretty clean so I want to go as mild as possible with the clay.

Thanks!

beemerboy1
08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
You can get a clay kit at any good auto parts store comes with one bar that you can cut in half and a bottle of lube / quick detail spray...those are very mild clay bars and good as a start on most all cars

Accumulator
08-12-2010, 04:29 PM
john1r-Noting that I haven`t used either of the clays on your short-list, I`d recommend that you try Sonus green Ultra-Fine clay. Used with their Glyde lube, you should be able to clay your Audi with that stuff just fine, with no marring at all as long as you knead/replace the clay frequently. I spot-clay our Audis with that stuff at every wash and I can`t recall it *ever* having resulted in any marring.

If anything, the Sonus is sometimes too gentle for some contamination, but it doesn`t sound like that`ll be a problem in your case. Used properly, it more or less just "clays the LSP clean", doesn`t even wear away a healthy coat of wax/etc.

David Fermani
08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Griot Clay is pretty easy going, but my all time favorite is Auto Magic Blue Clay Magic. They currently hold the patent for all clay sold in the US which means pretty much all clay sold here is a strain of their clay. CM being the purest form. ;)

BigAl3
08-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Griot Clay is pretty easy going, but my all time favorite is Auto Magic Blue Clay Magic. They currently hold the patent for all clay sold in the US which means pretty much all clay sold here is a strain of their clay. CM being the purest form. ;)

agreed and the fact you can buy it OTC at AZ is even better...

http://www.automagic.com/cart/Products/88256-B.jpg

you can also re-use the bottle...

Up To Eleven
08-13-2010, 01:42 AM
After much research I bought Sonus Green and used Megs Last Touch/Water as a lube. I`ve clayed about 5 cars now and have no regrets. It`s removed everything I hoped it would and I`ve seen zero maring.

Make it shine!
08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
agreed and the fact you can buy it OTC at AZ is even better...

http://www.automagic.com/cart/Products/88256-B.jpg

you can also re-use the bottle...

I am in agreement as well. Clay magic has been my favorite so far. I did purchase some Pinnacle Poly clay when it was bogo at AG, looking forward to using it this weekend I`ll let you know how it goes.

john1r
08-13-2010, 08:15 AM
I am in agreement as well. Clay magic has been my favorite so far. I did purchase some Pinnacle Poly clay when it was bogo at AG, looking forward to using it this weekend I`ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I actually just ordered the Pinnacle before seeing all the positive comments on clay magic, so hopefully it goes well for you.

I thought I had read somewhere else that clay magic might be a little `harsher` than some of the others, but they could have been referring to a similar product, I really don`t remember...

Accumulator
08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Griot Clay is pretty easy going..

IME the Griot`s works better when *not* used with their SpeedShine (which I otherwise really like) as the lube.

bill57
08-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I like Griot`s best, but I read that Mother`s is very close to Griot`s. I`m going to try that next.

dogma
08-14-2010, 07:17 AM
How about Surfcity`s beyond clay ?

Accumulator
08-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I like Griot`s best, but I read that Mother`s is very close to Griot`s. I`m going to try that next.

I`ll be interested to hear what you think. I found the two clays absolutely indistinguishable, seemingly identical, but others have said their opinions differ from that. I don`t think I was *wrong* (I mean, I had the two clays there together at the same time on the same job) but that sure doesn`t mean that either/both of them might not have changed since then.

imported_DetailDan
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I like Sonus green, Pinnacle Poly, Mothers, and Clay Magic blue.