PDA

View Full Version : What type of lubricant to use with clay?

Pages : [1] 2

john1r
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I`ve searched the forum and I think I`ve found my answer, but just wanted to confirm.

Is it indeed ok to use any QD (such as Meguiar`s A3332 Quik Detailer Mist & Wipe Spray, which I already own) as lubricant for clay? Or should one use a dedicated lube such as Pinnacle Clay Lubricant?

Thanks!

AeroCleanse
08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I little car wash an water work too.

Accumulator
08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I`m not really a fan of using leaves-stuff-behind QDs, but the "cleaner" ones (e.g., M34) work OK for me.

Shampoo mixes may or may not be compatible with clay, I`ve had it work both ways. ONR usually works OK.

For some reason my Sonus clays seem to work best with Sonus Glyde lube, sorta wish that weren`t the case as the Glyde isn`t exactly cheap.

SSizzlin'
08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I use M34.

David Fermani
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I`ve been a big fan of Auto Magic Body Shine for the longest until I tried ONR and it seems to work just fine too. A couple drops of Dawn in a spray bottle is great too. I`ve heard many people talk about certain soaps breaking down certain clays, but never had that happen to me with Clay Magic.

john1r
08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input so far! If using ONR, what concentration do you use?

Accumulator
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
.. I`ve heard many people talk about certain soaps breaking down certain clays, but never had that happen to me with Clay Magic.

It seems to be a specific soap/clay kind of thing. E.g., I`ve had Sonus gray go crumbly-bad with shampoo mixes.

Heh heh, I`m afraid to experiment with my SmartClay as I don`t want to risk depleting my stash.

Accumulator
08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
If using ONR, what concentration do you use?

I forget, whatever the "clay lube dilution ratio" on the label specifies. IIRC it`s a bit stronger than the usual QD-strength.

imported_dirtdiggler
08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
I`ve been using Meg`s APC (green) diluted and Clay magic clay. Seems to really glide and additional cleaning ability. Rail dust on my arctic white benz removed quicker than the supplied CM lube.

BigAl3
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
ONR or a few drops of soap mixed with water in a bottle works for me...

john1r
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the input! I`ve decided that since I already have ONR, and lots of people are recommending it, that I`ll go with that. Any thoughts as to whether I should or shouldn`t do the claying immediately after washing the car with ONR? I figured I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone by washing with ONR, claying, and then drying. Or perhaps wash with ONR, dry, wash with ONR again, clay, dry... Or something like that. Though the ONR solution that I`m washing with would be more diluted than the solution I`d use for claying so maybe that wouldn`t work anyway (or I`d have to have both solutions ready to use).

And separately, I just started another thread regarding types of clay for a newbie (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/131938-good-clay-newbie.html), and your input would be appreciated there as well.

Thanks again!

Accumulator
08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I`ve been using Meg`s APC (green) diluted and Clay magic clay. Seems to really glide and additional cleaning ability. Rail dust on my arctic white benz removed quicker than the supplied CM lube.

That`s interesting! I`ve used EFHI as a clay lube when doing nasty wheels, and while it worked OK, it *did* seem to compromise the clay kinda fast (same story with some wheel cleaners I tried it with).

Junebug
08-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I`m with DF on the Automagic Body Shine - great clay lube and I love the way it smells. AM blue clay is the best IMHO!

Make it shine!
08-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I was using ONR until I tried Dodo Juice Born Slippery clay lube concentrate, born slippery is the slickest clay lube I have found to date. It also does not leave any residue behind, like most QD`s, it wipes off with out any streaks so you can go straight to polishing and the lttle concentrated bottle makes 2.5 litres so is actually not too pricey. But ONR is my second choice and nto a bad choice by any means.

rdorman
08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I have always just used soap and water.