PDA

View Full Version : mazda tribute polish or wax

Pages : [1] 2

imported_gfe76
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Just bought my son a 2006 red mazda tribute (Ford Escape rebadged). This car is in mint condition. Paint is deep red, very glossy and excellent shape. I want him to keep it that way. Vehicle will be parked outside in hot Florida sun.

Should he use polish or wax on it? Any other tips? Thanks

Dan
08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
That question is like asking what is the best food, motor oil, religion, etc. The best advice is to garage the car if you want to keep the paint perfect. Otherwise: "Find a product you like using, and use it often"

imported_gfe76
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I thought there was a distinctive difference between "wax" and "polish" as it relates to newer paint in excellent condition vs older paint in average condtion. Am I mistaken?

Dan
08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I thought there was a distinctive difference between "wax" and "polish" as it relates to newer paint in excellent condition vs older paint in average condtion. Am I mistaken?

As far as traditional defenitions go yes! A polish means an abrasive that is used to restore shine. However when it comes to what is printed on bottles, absolutely not. You could use Zaino Z2 Show Car Polish, it contains no abrasives, plenty of other "polishes" like that. There are several products called waxes that contain no wax at all. What it seems you are after is what is known to most here as an LSP. Last step product or protectant.

Do you prefer to shop online or local stores? Is price a factor? Do you prefer better looks or durability? How important is ease of application? How often will you be using the product?

imported_gfe76
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks..yakky....I`m not picky about product...I`ll get some LSP type product...

Dan
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
If you have a carquest nearby check out the Duragloss line, top notch stuff at a dirt cheap price.

DM101
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
BlackFire Wet diamond will work well on this car. BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond, All Finish Paint Protection (http://www.blackfireusa.com/blwetdiallfi.html)

jeffbokc
08-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I think you are asking whether to use a wax or sealent. My experience is that a sealent lasts longer, so if the car will be kept outside, I would recommend a sealent. As someone said earlier, pick one you like to use and "use it often." I personally prefer Black Fire Wet Diamond for my kid`s car, as an earlier post recommended. Goes on and off quickly, good gloss, and lasts a long time. His car also stays outside. I use a regular wax on my car (Zymol Vintage), but it stays garaged most of the time and I keep a good coat of wax on it (weekly wash, monthly wax).

I hope this is helpful.

Street5927
08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
As yakky said, a polish will restore some shine. What you are looking for is a wax or sealant to keep it that way (as stated above). I agree that if you like to shop online, as MDRX8 said, Blackfire wet diamond is an excellent choice. I have recently been using Autoglym Super Resin Gloss Protectant, which is working out very well and very comparable to Blacfire Wet Diamond. As far as waxes go, OTC, I personally like Mothers Reflections, which is easy to apply and remove. If you like to shop online, My personal preferences are Pinnacle Souveran, Dodo Juice (little expensive) and Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax.

It is important, however, to keep in mind that sealants will typically last longer than a wax, and applying both will not hurt anything (as far as protection). If applying a wax over a sealant, it sometimes "mutes" the shine a tad.

Dan
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
It is important, however, to keep in mind that sealants will typically last longer than a wax, and applying both will not hurt anything (as far as protection). If applying a wax over a sealant, it sometimes "mutes" the shine a tad.

Well, there are always compromises. Even though a sealant lasts longer, most are less resistant to environmental fallout when compared to a traditional carnauba based wax. In my experience, mother natures protectant serves very well against bird crap, sap and other things that like to stick to paint. Though I feel a sealant releases dirt better. Its a give and take for sure.

craigdt
08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Both.

Inspect the paint first. I bet with some bright lights, it wont be quite as nice as you think.

After you have polished out any imperfections, then pick a good LSP and maintain.

Street5927
08-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, there are always compromises. Even though a sealant lasts longer, most are less resistant to environmental fallout when compared to a traditional carnauba based wax. In my experience, mother natures protectant serves very well against bird crap, sap and other things that like to stick to paint. Though I feel a sealant releases dirt better. Its a give and take for sure.

Agreed...thats why I always suggest a sealant and wax to cover all ends of the spectrum..lol

Bimmerbuster
08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
It`s going to fade regardless simply from being in the sun. just like if you put on sun tan lotion you still get a little tan right, its a gradual process get a car cover for it man or just garage it.

Street5927
08-12-2010, 05:35 AM
It`s going to fade regardless simply from being in the sun. just like if you put on sun tan lotion you still get a little tan right, its a gradual process get a car cover for it man or just garage it.

I disagree with this. As long as there is no clear coat failure and the vehicle is regularly maintained with a good Carnauba wax (which most protect against UV lighting), with the cc/bc finishes of today then fading should not be an issue. However, I can understand a single stage paint fading, "chaulking" or whitening more quickly if not regularly maintained.

The Wraith
08-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Polish or wax? More like polish then wax.