PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of Clay

baker
08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I always keep my car immaculate. It is washed several times per week, waxed or sealed very regularly, and it is generaly not allowed to be dirty. I think its an Autopia bylaw, right? Well I got into something this past week that contaminated the surface, maybe road work. The whole car felt rough and sticky, so I gave it a good wash, a complete going over with Klasse AIO and a coat of FMJ which is usually very slick. Didn`t seem to touch whatever was on the hood. I swear if you did the baggy test it would rip it! So I took a piece of clay, used soapy water as a lube and went over the whole car, took less than 15 minutes as the car had just been washed, I re-washed the car, dried it and put a quick coat of FMJ on it. Success, the car is so slick the microfiber slid right off the hood. So like the title says, "You gotta love the clay" for certain conditions.

Lonnie
08-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Baker:

What is the name brand (manufacturer) of the clay you used and how did you come to pick out that peticular clay?

When you say soapy water, what are you using for a soap and how are you diluting it (inquiring minds)?

Dan
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I`m a clay junkie as well. Scott`s ONR and clay technique is awesome.

Street5927
08-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Clay is awesome, however, I have to disagree with you on one point....my car is usually dirty because I am so busy cleaning everyone else`s, that I don`t have time to do my own (or my wife`s for that matter)...lol

vtec92civic
08-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Clay is awesome, however, I have to disagree with you on one point....my car is usually dirty because I am so busy cleaning everyone else`s, that I don`t have time to do my own (or my wife`s for that matter)...lol

that`s my line LoL. ONR as clay lube is excellent! I need to find a great all around clay. I personally love to use Clay Magic but here in hawaii it`s like $32 (a bit pricey) only other clay i tried was Pinnacle and that was way to soft and sticky. Would get stuck all over the place and was just way to soft.

2007TBSS
08-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I`m a clay junkie as well. Scott`s ONR and clay technique is awesome.

Link please?

baker
08-10-2010, 04:24 AM
The clay was simply Meguiars fine clay picked up at the local Canadian Tire and the car wash soap was Simomiz wash and wax which I find to be very slick, probably due to a small carnuba content. As a lube I simply mix it stronger than if I was washing the car.

Street5927
08-10-2010, 06:27 AM
that`s my line LoL. ONR as clay lube is excellent! I need to find a great all around clay. I personally love to use Clay Magic but here in hawaii it`s like $32 (a bit pricey) only other clay i tried was Pinnacle and that was way to soft and sticky. Would get stuck all over the place and was just way to soft.

Thats funny. I told myself that when I was on vacation last month I would get to detail my truck, which hasn`t seen a coat of wax in about 2 years. Maybe before winter...lol

Dan
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Link please?

Not sure what thread he mentioned it first but if you did through his posts.... I do it like this:

1 ONR panel 1st pass

2 ONR panel 2nd pass

3 Clay panel (misting with ONR as required)

4 Dry

imported_BobbyG
08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
You`d be surprised how many out there have no idea how important it is to clay a cars finish at least twice annually.

What I`m about to say is the absolute truth. My neighbor never washes his car and told me that washing causes the painted surface to eventually wear through... :nervous2: :nervous2: :nervous2:

Go figure!! :nixweiss :nixweiss

99MONGUSE
08-16-2010, 03:59 PM
You`d be surprised how many out there have no idea how important it is to clay a cars finish at least twice annually.

What I`m about to say is the absolute truth. My neighbor never washes his car and told me that washing causes the painted surface to eventually wear through... :nervous2: :nervous2: :nervous2:

Go figure!! :nixweiss :nixweiss

Back in the early 1990s..when I got my drivers license I used to wash and wax my first car (1984 black Camaro) almost every single day! At least once a week I used Turtle was paste compound and paste polish and terry towels and did the entire car then hand waxed...buffer, I diodn`t even know what that was! :) One time, in the summer, I was red as a tomatoe from my waste line to my forehead...sun-burnt like you wouldn`t believe (from leaning over the car, polishing by hand)...my mom used to tell me i was going to wash/wax the paint right off the car!