PDA

View Full Version : Detailing question

adec
01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Howdy. I am new to dc and have a question. I recently purchased a 2006 magnetic black 350Z. Last week I decided to do my first wash, clay and Zaino. After reading through the forums, I went out and bought the best OTC detailing supplies I could get, `cause if I had ordered through the net the products would`nt have come in time to catch the good weather. Anyways, I purchased Meguiars gold class microfiber drying towels and finishing towels, along with some vroom sheep skin mitts. I took all my finishing supplies to a local self wash during the middle of the week and went to work. Instead of two bucket wash method, I used six buckets. Then I grabbed what I THOUGHT was the mothers QD spray and starting to clay (used the mothers kit and was my first time doing this). Thought something was odd cause it wasn`t slick. Turned out I was using a quick WAX spray instead of the QD. Luckily I only had finished the front bumper. Anyways, I finished the claying with the correct lube. After washing the second time and drying, I pulled the car into the sunlight and guess what I noticed. Swirls, Marring and light scratches all over the car! Didn`t have a choice but put 2 coats of zaino and call it a day. What a friggin disaster!!!
Now here`s my question. One, did I do any damage to the bumper clearcoat not using the correct lube? Two, how do I get rid of the LIGHT swirls, marring, and scratches? From what I`ve read SSR1 seems to be the correct choice. Just worried if it will be abrasive enough or how about optimum or Menzerna FPII. I don`t have any experience with these products and will probably be doing this by hand. Need to get at least the hood and bumper done soon so I can get a clear bra installed.
By the way, the 350Z has a @###@ paint job. When I inspected the paint in direct sunlight, there was orange peel all over the car. NO areas without the peel.

thanks and looking forward to the responses

Miami_Sunset
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
YOU NEED TO GET A PC & A POORBOY`S STARTER KIT TO MAKE THINGS EASIER. try autogeek.net :yes:

budman3
01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Welcome to Detail City! Did the dealer touch your car? The swirls may be from them. I doubt the clay with the quick wax did any harm. But clay is an abrasive product which I always follow up with a polish to remove any marring from claying. Poorboys, Menzerna and Optimum are all good products that you have listed. But for hand, I`d choose Poorboys. If you get a PC then either three would be a good choice. Depending on the serverity of the damage it is difficult to reccomend a polish for you to use. SSR1 might do the job but it is hard to tell. I would say if you have the money get a PC, pads, good polishes, sealant and microfiber towels and you`ll get your Z in perfect condition in no time. Good luck!

Brenton
01-25-2006, 09:40 PM
I`ve not seen many black cars spend more than 24 hours out in the real world without swirls. Listen to the advice people give and enjoy. In many lights your car will still look lovely with wax.

joyriide1113
01-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Bump the idea of a Poorboys SSR starter kit. It can be done by hand bt much faster with the PC. Maybe the Dealer used a good glaze prior to delivery and you ended up washing it off. Maybe it was your claying...

Did you use z5 or z2. From my understanding, z5 hides light imperfections.

JaredPointer
01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
I would agreee that the swirls were probably an extra dealer installed option that they didn`t let you know about. :) A light swirl removing polish should help you get rid of them.