PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Windshield Repair Gone Terribly Wrong (Resin on Paint)

vizguru
08-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Long time reader, first time poster...but today I need help!

Took my 16yr old 911 to the detailing center today for a wash and to have a few windshield chips received on the highway this past week filled in.

The windshield repair went perfectly, but after getting the car home I noticed that the repair tech had dripped resin on my paint in three spots! What is the stuff these guys use? Has it already done permanent damage?

Obviously, I`m going to have the windshield repair company try to fix it, but from the looks of the spots, I don`t see how they are going to get it off without damaging the paint further. I thought I`d ask the experts what you would do...

If it helps: The car is a metallic color called Polar Silver (very hard to match) and is clear-coated. The paint is all factory original and in excellent to perfect condition, especially in the area where the resin spots are now located.

Thanks in advance!

vizguru

salty
08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Quick answer without knowing more, would be Lacquer Thinner or maybe clay bar.

shaunls1
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
maybe try and post some pics of the damage that will help us help you.

that resin is really hard once its drys and cures.

is it big globs or just some tiny spots?

it might be possible to wet sand it out and i dont think a clay bar will remove resin.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I thought that stuff was UV cure? Should come off if it hasn`t been cured.

Lonnie
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Resin of that type is rock-hard: kind of like super-clear epoxy. I hate the idea of wet sanding, but it is what I would suggest.

I doubt it will "scrape off" or "flake off" with a plastic razor blade, either. Unfortunately, that`s the first thing most people try is some type of scraping.

I assume you are getting it done by someone else other than the windshield repair people and then back-charging them, OR you are going to attempt the fix and charge them accordingly.

You will need to settle this issue with the window repair place BEFORE you attempt doing it yourself or getting someone else to do it.

I`d meet with the manager and explain the situation. You probably will need to get some type of written estimate (labor time and materials), probably two, so reputable detailers in your area may be able to help you out.

I would NOT take it to a body shop first, unless you know them very well, or if the body shop has a detailing department. My 2cent worth.