PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb...

yeebiz
08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I have a PC coming. I need some help on deciding what products to use.

I have it narrowed down to 4 choices:

Megs 105/205

Wolfgang twins

Adam`s Kit (honestly proably least likely to buy)

Pinnacle twins

I have a pearl white subaru impreza.

Which combo is the most newb friendly?

Do I need another polish to follow the megs? (some people seem to think so)

CCS pads colors to buy? (will wax by hand)

How many pads to buy to do my car?

Thanks for your help.

ThrillHo
08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
If you want to talk about newb friendly, you might want to consider OTC products like the Meg`s duo of Ultimate Compound and SwirlX. As a post-newb myself, I can say I`ve achieved stellar results with these two. I have heard good things about 105/205 and the Wolfgang twins. I currently have 105/205 waiting in my garage to be used. You should not need anything to follow the 205 IMO. As far as pads, some people like CCS, some hate them and prefer the flat pads. I personally use Ubers so I can`t comment. Buy a LOT of pads. Plan to go through at least half a dozen per car, including compounding and polishing. I also wax by hand :up

Alexshimshimhae
08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
damnit that would have been helpful for me i just bought one of each...

if you have machine--maybe newb friendly would be more of the new optimum hyper compound spray and the polish spray--only because you don`t really have to worry about break down and all that--it works as long as you do...just a thought

yeebiz
08-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Orange pads for 105 black pads for 205?

Accumulator
08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Orange pads for 105 black pads for 205?

I prefer to use a slightly more aggressive pad with the M205, but maybe that`s just me.

Some sorta-random thoughts follow in answer to your original post:

I`d also consider the new Optimum brand spray compound and polish.

I`d absolutely *NOT* use pads larger than 5.5", and I only use 4" pads for correction via PC.

I wouldn`t expect you to need a finer polish than the M205/Optimum spray finishing polish.

If you get the M105, buy a lot more pads than you think you need. And I`d use M34 when buffing off the M105 residue.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

yeebiz
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I prefer to use a slightly more aggressive pad with the M205, but maybe that`s just me.

Some sorta-random thoughts follow in answer to your original post:

I`d also consider the new Optimum brand spray compound and polish.

I`d absolutely *NOT* use pads larger than 5.5", and I only use 4" pads for correction via PC.

I wouldn`t expect you to need a finer polish than the M205/Optimum spray finishing polish.

If you get the M105, buy a lot more pads than you think you need. And I`d use M34 when buffing off the M105 residue.

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Thanks for the welcome. I have read a lot of your posts and have a ton of respect for your opinions.

What are the advantages to the spray compound and polish?

Are they easy to work with?

I`m already a bit nervous about putting the pc on my paint and I really want something easy to work with.

Alexshimshimhae
08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have read a lot of your posts and have a ton of respect for your opinions.

I`m already a bit nervous about putting the pc on my paint and I really want something easy to work with.

Welcome--from what I`ve read on forums--with most compound and polishes--you get the best out of them you have to work it until the abrasives break down but not too long that it dries up--the dust that comes off of the 105 can also be an issue.

With the sprays--the sun supposedly doesn`t make much diff because it doesn`t dry or something? ionno scottwax said he uses it in the sun-there`s no dusting and the product works as long as you use it--two sprays on pad to prime and one spray per panel is what I`ve read.

in a way I would say it takes the guess work out of certain things. I mean looked at the autogeek video of him testing out the products and I must say--having to detail outside--I`m kind of eager to try it.

Accumulator
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Supposedly very user-friendly with minimal dust. I haven`t tried them but people whose opinions I respect say they`re great.

Before you know it you`ll be wanting to make that PC more aggressive, just wait and see ;)

yeebiz
08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I was looking at the optimum spray polishes. Love the sound of them but wasn`t sure because I couldn`t find many reviews. I think I may go this route.

I`m probably going to pick up a 6 pack of Lake Country Flat Pads. I was thinking 3 orange and 3 black for the megs. Would this combo be good for the Optimum Spray Products or do you suggest other colors?

Accumulator
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I was looking at the optimum spray polishes. Love the sound of them but wasn`t sure because I couldn`t find many reviews. I think I may go this route.

I`m probably going to pick up a 6 pack of Lake Country Flat Pads. I was thinking 3 orange and 3 black for the megs. Would this combo be good for the Optimum Spray Products or do you suggest other colors?

I haven`t used the Optimum stuff, so I`m just guessing....but I`d lean towards having something in-between the orange and black. I don`t end up going right to a black pad after using an orange one very often, preferring an intermediate step. But that`s just me, working with the products that I use.

ap300c
08-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Although I am far from an expert, I used an Orange pad for 105 and a White one for 205. I was planning on the Black pad for the LSP (845 in my case) but instead did it by hand.

Here`s a good article I read before starting.

Polishing How To with Meguiar’s M105 / M205 – Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/polishing-how-to-with-meguiars-m105-m205/)

Good luck!

yeebiz
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Thanks ap300c. That`s a good article. Thanks to everyone else who responded also.