PDA

View Full Version : My first time ...

ap300c
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
After buying everything I thought I needed, and reading the forums for a few weeks for encouragement, I finally did my first full detail utilizing my Griots Garage machine. Here is how it went, step by step.

1. Clean it. Pretty basic, used some Meguiars wash I had, california blade followed by yellow microfiber towel from Target. I probably should pick up some of the waffle towels for the future.

2. On to the clay. I used the DI Gentle Fine Grade clay with Poorboys`s S&W. The claying went well, I kept the surface very lubricated but needed to go over a few areas more than once. The rear end and trunk were especially difficult to get a nice smooth finish. I used much more pressure than earlier and went over each section twice.

3. Polish try. After reading about the Meguair`s 105 dusting and the challenges of being a newbie, I thought I would give the pain a go with 205 and a LC white pad. Easy on, easy off, but looking closely could still see some swirl marks. Attempt failed, on to the 105.

4. Bring on the 105. Starting with a small area to work in, prime the pad LC Orange pad, small amount of product ... off we go, as in everywhere. Too much product and a soaked pad results in 10 minutes of cleanup. After that, it went well. I would hit the pad with a small spray of M34 every third section, the sections where I used too much material would be more difficult to remove, but overall not bad. The swirls and scratches were nearly gone.

5. Next step, 205 with a white pad. Before starting, I went over the finish with Meguiar`s Ultimate Detailer to remove any dust I missed. The 205 went on easily and came off just as easy. I was doing larger sections and felt like I was making good progress. There was a nice deep shine to the finish, I am happy! Unfortunately, I had now spent most of the day working on the car. off to bed and a fresh start in the morning.

6. Collinite 845. I did a quick round with the Meguiar`s Ultimate Detailer to pick up any dust that may have accumulated overnight. Reading some of the recent horror stories had me worried. I decided to forgo application with the black pad, instead using foam pads by hand. It went on easily, I kept thinking, thin, thin, thin. I did the whole car before wiping it off. Stepping back, it looks great with a nice shiny wet looking finish!

Overall, the process was much more time consuming then I expected. Start to finish was probably near 6.5 hours or so. The good news is the car looks great. The bad news is the girlfriend was not real thrilled that I spent a majority of the weekend in the garage. I think in a week or so I will put another layer of 845 on, then hopefully one additional coat before winter gets here.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice or encouragement as well as great reading material.

Alexshimshimhae
08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like a good write up :) Might even be worth posting up in the detailing guide =]

ap300c
08-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks, I just wanted to share what I went through and say thanks to the community for their input.

imported_dirtdiggler
08-03-2010, 09:02 AM
One addition : is after 205 I usually rinse with a dawn soap wash to remove any leftover 105/205 oils for the 845 bond to a clean surface.

Alexshimshimhae
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
couldn`t you just IPA instead?

thisisagame24
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
how do you guys do the IPA wipedown? put it in a spray bottle and MF? super newb question. im currently working up the courage to do my first detail my self

ap300c
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
One addition : is after 205 I usually rinse with a dawn soap wash to remove any leftover 105/205 oils for the 845 bond to a clean surface.

Thanks I wasn`t sure what to do between the 205 and the 845. Add another wash to the future!

imported_dirtdiggler
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
correct IPA can be used after each panel to view the level of ``correctness``, but I use dawn or similar to remove again the polishing oils, dust or debris that may have loosen from work.

imported_BobbyG
08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
For the first time you did a great job and becoming well informed prior to tackling it was a very smart move! Detailing is an art, not a science, and practice is where you gain experience enabling you to refine your skills and the end result.

Accumulator
08-05-2010, 11:51 AM
ap300c- Glad to hear things worked out so well! Now that you`ve learned (the hard way ;) ) about excess product, I bet the next M105/M205 session will go even easier. But yeah, this stuff often *does* take a whole lotta time. Actually, I think you did things rather quickly!

FWIW, after I prime the pads thoroughly, I let them sit for 5 minutes or so and then I blot them gently with a towel to remove any excess. Then I add a few little dots of "working product".

imported_BobbyG
08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
FWIW, after I prime the pads thoroughly, I let them sit for 5 minutes or so and then I blot them gently with a towel to remove any excess. Then I add a few little dots of "working product".

I also learned the hard way when I started with Meguiar`s M105. Man you have no idea how priming a pad properly makes the polishing process go much smoother.....no pun intended.

ap300c
08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks again to everyone for sharing their wisdom.

Keys for next time:

Prime the pads better (and let sit for 5 mins)

M34 to Remove M105

Dawn Wash before LSP