PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Bird stain on 1-day old BLACK Porsche Cayenne

sws1
08-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Picked up a brand new jet black Porches Cayenne on Tuesday. Wednesday the front fender was splattered with bird crap. About the size of a dinner plate. By the time I washed it off, it had already marred the paint / clearcoat.

Fine detailing clay did nothing.

Hand rubbed some JW Prime on it. Also did nothing. (Didn`t use a buffer or polishing pad.)

Generally, I use JW Prime and Acrylic Jett on my cars. And I have 3 different pads that I got from the Autopia-CarCare store. (To date, I`ve never used anything but the least agressive pad with my cars.) I think they are DAS pads, but they don`t have the grooves in them like the current DAS pads do.

What`s the recommended path for removing this stuff from Porsche paint?

Can I try JW Prime with a more agressive pad? Get some sort of polish? What kind?

Thanks so much.

Setec Astronomy
08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
In the interest of not taking too much paint off a brand new and expensive vehicle, I would start by wiping it well with IPA, then mix up a past of baking soda and water and apply that a couple of times, letting it dry and wiping it off (gently) with a wet towel. Then go over it with IPA again. This is to neutralize and pull out stuff that may have penetrated the paint. Whether this really helps or not, I`m not sure, but it seems to have helped me on certain stains.

Then I would definitely go ahead and machine polish with the Prime and your least aggressive pad, stepping up to your medium pad if that doesn`t help. Although from the way your post is written, perhaps you don`t have a machine. Do you? Either way, if you can`t get the results you`re looking for, you`ll need to go more aggressive, either with an OTC polish like Meg`s SwirlX, or online with something like Meg`s 205 or one of the Menzerna finishing polishes, or one of many others. The Meg`s stuff you oughta be able to get some results by hand, if that`s how you`re working.

Hard to tell without pictures (or maybe even with pictures) how deep it`s etched. If it`s deep, you likely won`t be able to get it out (and shouldn`t try to completely remove it). Sometimes you will be able to reduce it so that you will only be able to see the etch from certain angles. Hopefully it`s shallow and a little light polishing will remove it.

sws1
08-02-2010, 09:30 AM
In the interest of not taking too much paint off a brand new and expensive vehicle, I would start by wiping it well with IPA, then mix up a past of baking soda and water and apply that a couple of times, letting it dry and wiping it off (gently) with a wet towel. Then go over it with IPA again. This is to neutralize and pull out stuff that may have penetrated the paint. Whether this really helps or not, I`m not sure, but it seems to have helped me on certain stains.

Then I would definitely go ahead and machine polish with the Prime and your least aggressive pad, stepping up to your medium pad if that doesn`t help. Although from the way your post is written, perhaps you don`t have a machine. Do you? Either way, if you can`t get the results you`re looking for, you`ll need to go more aggressive, either with an OTC polish like Meg`s SwirlX, or online with something like Meg`s 205 or one of the Menzerna finishing polishes, or one of many others. The Meg`s stuff you oughta be able to get some results by hand, if that`s how you`re working.

Hard to tell without pictures (or maybe even with pictures) how deep it`s etched. If it`s deep, you likely won`t be able to get it out (and shouldn`t try to completely remove it). Sometimes you will be able to reduce it so that you will only be able to see the etch from certain angles. Hopefully it`s shallow and a little light polishing will remove it.

Thanks.

Yes - I have a Porter Cable which is how I apply Prime to my other cars.

As it stands now, after washing it, you can`t feel anything with your hand. And you can`t see it, unless you`re at the correct angle. However, since it is so big, anytime you walk to the car, you see it. I`ll try to go get a pic now.

BTW - What is IPA?

Thomas Dekany
08-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Alcohol. - Go take your pc and polish the area. You will not remove "too" much paint.

JohnKleven
08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
There is plenty of paint on those vehicles, not something I would worry too much about. If polishing doesn`t take it out (I don`t think it will) you will need to have the area wetsanded with some 2000 grit. Really not a big deal at all. You should post where you are located, and I`m sure a local autopian will chime in for the repair. Best of luck.

John

blackrex
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Porsche paint tends to clean up really well. I would think Meg 105 and 205 should do the trick, no problem.

Accumulator
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I`d tape the area off and use the smallest pad possible. I just did some spot-correction on the A8 (horribly nasty marring, we don`t know what happened there) with a 3" pad on my PC...with a 3.75" backing plate :soscared: Yeah, gotta be careful, but it worked like a charm and I only thinned the area that needed it.