PDA

View Full Version : What QD to use to maintain KSG?

starkraven
08-01-2010, 08:22 PM
It occurred to me that Meguiar`s QD may not be the best possible QD to use to maintain KSG because of the wax in the QD. What do you all use? I am considering using CG Extreme Slick Synthetic Acrylic Polymer Detailer. I have no experience with it though.

JohnKleven
08-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I don`t know what KSG is, but Dodo Juice`s Tropical Mist is the best spray wax I have ever used. It leaves a streak free finish even in the sun, and has some polymers to boost waterbeading.

John

imported_DetailDan
08-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I like Z8 and BF Deep Gloss Spray Sealant.

starkraven
08-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I don`t know what KSG is, but Dodo Juice`s Tropical Mist is the best spray wax I have ever used. It leaves a streak free finish even in the sun, and has some polymers to boost waterbeading.

Sorry, KSG = Klasse Sealant Glaze. It`s acrylic. I don`t think it has any waxes in it. My thought is that I should stay away from QDs with waxes to better enable layering a few days later.

John

Setec Astronomy
08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I`d use this:

Klasse All-In-One & Sealant Glaze Car Detail Spray Sonus Acrylic Spritz (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-200.html)

Or this, the QD for the newtech KSG, Werkstat Acrylic Jett:

WERKSTAT Detailing: Acrylic Glos (http://www.werkstat.com/acrylic-glos.php)

starkraven
08-02-2010, 06:06 AM
I`d use this:

Klasse All-In-One & Sealant Glaze Car Detail Spray Sonus Acrylic Spritz (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-200.html)

Or this, the QD for the newtech KSG, Werkstat Acrylic Jett:

WERKSTAT Detailing: Acrylic Glos (http://www.werkstat.com/acrylic-glos.php)

Wow, great answer. Thanks so much.

imported_Larry A
08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
They use to say that Eagle One Wipe n Shine works good with Klasse.

Accumulator
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
KSG works well with a lot of "sealant type" QDs..the BF/UPP/etc. stuff is fine.

FK425 is what I use after every wash (while drying).

The Sonus Acrylic Spritz is more of a "booster" that doesn`t really do as much as the ad-copy promises, but is still worth using from time to time if you don`t have time to apply another coat of KSG. I would *NOT use it as a QD no matter what they say, not enough cleaning/lubrication/encapsulation for that IMO.

starkraven
08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
KSG works well with a lot of "sealant type" QDs..the BF/UPP/etc. stuff is fine.

I checked out the decoder ring, so I know what BF and UPP are now. But what is "ETC"?

Just kidding. But seriously, what other "sealant type" QDs out there do you like?

Accumulator
08-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I checked out the decoder ring, so I know what BF and UPP are now. But what is "ETC"?

Heh heh, that`s a good one :chuckle:

..what other "sealant type" QDs out there do you like?

The two I probably use most often are FK425 and FK146 (FK= FinishKare). For use on sealants, I could pretty much get by just fine with only those.

Setec Astronomy
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Ok, Accumulator, so when you use FK425 for drying, do you use your regular WW`s, and do you get any effect on the performance like in the old days when we used to use WAUD?

Sorry if I`m steering this off-topic...

Accumulator
08-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Ok, Accumulator, so when you use FK425 for drying, do you use your regular WW`s, and do you get any effect on the performance like in the old days when we used to use WAUD?

Sorry if I`m steering this off-topic...

On wheels (which I blow dry with the compressor first), I use the FK425 with a regular cotton towel. There, that`s on-topic :D (OOPS, my bad...for a second there I thought this was a wheels-centric thread :o Sheesh, I gotta quit trying to multitask! People just aren`t built for that...)

Regarding drying the vehicle proper, I blow off most of the water with the AirWand, then spritz the QD in question and then do a *two-step* drying- first with the WW and then a quick "buffing style" pass with a plush MF (and the plusher the better). I get it about 99% dry with the WW though. That second step`s a recent tweak I`ve tried the last few washes and I like it better than an all-WW approach (or at least I think so, so far...ah, me and my endlessly-tweaked wash/dry regimen :o ).

Recently, I`ve been *really* overkilling the laundering of my WWs; sanitary cycle, Dawn, numerous no-detergent-washes, etc. Some of my older WWs are simply not gonna perform like new, but the newer ones are doing OK with that kind of treatment. I *think* that the age/wear-tear/etc. issue means more than the contaminated-with-QD issue, but who really knows :nixweiss