PDA

View Full Version : 4" pad started to disintegrate

Striker
07-31-2010, 08:56 AM
The other day I was working with a PC+4" LC orange pad and M105. I`ll admit, I was pretty aggressive with it as the car I was working on way beyond killed as far as the paint condition was concerned.

I noticed small chunks of the pad going off. Is this normal, just time to replace the pad or can I do something about it?

lostdaytomorrow
07-31-2010, 09:55 AM
I`ve heard this before, was your PC getting pretty hot as well?

2007TBSS
07-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I beat the hell out of my Cyan Hydro Techs with 105. I have heard a few theories such as cheap extension cords causing excess heat through the back plate to a flaw in the 1st gen HT`s.

AG even warrantied a couple for me.

I have no idea what I am doing to the pads to make them have such a short life, but I need to figure it out soon cause this shiz is getting expensive.:hmph:

Accumulator
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM
If you`re getting really aggressive with the orange foam, maybe you oughta consider using a SurBuf instead (use the right techique though).

craigdt
07-31-2010, 11:57 AM
You aren`t allowing any small nicks/tears in your pads are you?

a.k.a. Patrick
07-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Getting "aggressive" may be an issue. I wouldnt run the PC above 4 using 4" pads, nor would I bare any excessive pressure on them. Let them do the work.

Accumulator
07-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Getting "aggressive" may be an issue. I wouldnt run the PC above 4 using 4" pads, nor would I bare any excessive pressure on them. Let them do the work.

Yeah, I agree. I`ll go up to speed 5 with `em, but you don`t need the higher speeds as much as with a larger pad.

Heh heh, and yeah...gotta be careful about applying pressure with the 4" pads (I have the spot-in repair to prove it :o ).

Striker
08-03-2010, 10:09 AM
You live and learn I guess. I was addiding excess pressure to it.

Accumulator
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
You live and learn I guess. I was addiding excess pressure to it.

OK..that`s really not all that necessary with the 4" pads. Not like I`ve never done it, but still....

Applying a little too much pressure was probably how I killed the clear on the MPV that one time :o

Striker
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
The pad was taking a beating but the paint looks nice. Now I have to do the rest of the car :( She`s really really bad too. The black Impala will shine tho....