PDA

View Full Version : Problem with PC and 4" pads...

VitoB
07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Hey guys,

I experienced some issues when using my PC with 4" pads. It seems as if the pad itself was just not spinning all the time, and this is by applying almost no pressure, obviously I would expect it to slow down if I was pressing hard on it. I am using a 3.5" LC backing plate. My PC works fine with other pad sizes.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks.

dublifecrisis
07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
did you double check for the washer? Without the washer on the backing plate, it`ll still work but the oscillation is totally messed up. I`ve done that a couple times but notice right away. I look in my storage box and there it is at the bottom! That`s the only thing I can think of.

VitoB
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
did you double check for the washer? Without the washer on the backing plate, it`ll still work but the oscillation is totally messed up. I`ve done that a couple times but notice right away. I look in my storage box and there it is at the bottom! That`s the only thing I can think of.

I don`t believe I am using a washer with mine, maybe you`re right, that could be the problem.

Striker
07-30-2010, 01:06 PM
How can you have a pad on there without the washer? I though that the washer was the only way to secure the backing plate that holds the pad itself.

VitoB
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
How can you have a pad on there without the washer? I though that the washer was the only way to secure the backing plate that holds the pad itself.

When I think of a washer, I picture a small, very thin washer. I don`t believe I have one on there, I just screw the backing plate into the threading on the polisher.

RaskyR1
07-30-2010, 03:44 PM
What speed setting were you on? On lower speeds if the polisher/pad is not flat with the panel it will stop rotating and just jiggle around.

Audiguru
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
hes right with the washer....you should always have it on cause without it it can also burnout the PC

Striker
07-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Now you guys have me second guessing myself....I know for a fact that with some light pressure applied, even with a 4 inch pad, the PC will just jiggle around as opposed to making full rotations.

Am I missing something? I have the piece that you have to tighten around once the backing plate is in the machine, but that`s it?

VitoB
07-31-2010, 09:36 AM
I found a washer and I installed it. Sorry for the quality of the pic.

http://www.vbautodetailing.com/images/washer.jpg

Does that look right?

Audiguru
07-31-2010, 12:13 PM
I found a washer and I installed it. Sorry for the quality of the pic.

http://www.vbautodetailing.com/images/washer.jpg

Does that look right? yupp looks good....can you fit the wrench inside

VitoB
07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Without the washer, I found the backing plate was too close, leaving barely any room to fit the wrench, however now it goes in more easily.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Legacy
07-31-2010, 05:25 PM
hes right with the washer....you should always have it on cause without it it can also burnout the PC

You should have a washer between the BP and spindle. Not having one will not burn out your pc. Where did you see or hear that rumor?

imported_mystic04
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
never seen a washer on my pc from day one.nor my new GG i have.

Legacy
07-31-2010, 06:55 PM
never seen a washer on my pc from day one.nor my new GG i have.Most backing plates comes with a washer, use it.