PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need? Newbie detailer

sndraco
07-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi

I am a newbie (in the past just used to wash car by hand every now and then) and have a black 2001 Audi S4. It was garaged but has major swirls one or two deep scratches.

I live in SF, and park on the streets.

I don`t have a DA yet though will either buy one or use some friends.

What I have

1. Viking wool wash mitt

2. Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash

3. Optimum No Rinse

4. Meguiars Quick Wax

5. Optimum Spray Wax

6. Meg`s Quick Detailer

7. Meg`s Interior Detailer

8. Meg`s clay kit

9. Megs Natural Shine Protectant

10. Collinite 845 Insulator Wax

11. P21S Paint cleanser

12. 5 Gallon bucket, 3 gallon bucket, 2 grit guards. Likely both grit guards will be in the rinse bucket, since even with 2 gallons of wash I have a lot left over and 5 gallons is overkill. Also with grit guard in wash bucket, cant reach the last gallon or so of wash.

13. Leatherique Oil and conditioner.

14. Viking waffle weave towel for drying.

15. Cobra MF towels (3) Green

16. Megs Applicator (the ones with applicator and towel)

17. Megs and Turtle Wax Tire and wheel cleaner (all wheel)

18. Mothers Interior/Carpet Brush

19. 4-5 Costco yellow MF towels

20. Stoner Invisible Glass.

LIkely to also buy a chenille wash mitt (the dreadlocks kind) and a meg`s white microfiber wash mitt.

Since my car is driven 3 times a week or so, and is parked outside on the street (not to mention 10 years old) my philosophy is keep it looking reasonably good and more importantly maintained well. I also really like products that perform more than one function like ONR (wash, detailer, clay lubricant etc) and also ones which last (hence 845). Additionally products that give me 90% of best in class is fine as find the last 10% or so takes too much effort (for me.

I think I still need some sort of polish/swirl remover (don`t think P21 cleanser is enough) and thinking maybe Klasse AIO or Optimum Hyper Polish or Meg`s Ultimate Compound.

I attended a detailing class and used Meg`s Ultimate Compound on a DA with a yellow pad and with two passes looked much better (car was clayed first).

Q. is what other products do I need? Again not looking for best shine/looks, more to maintain car.

Thanks.

Shri

Accumulator
07-30-2010, 01:00 PM
sndraco- Welcome to Autopia!

You do need something in the polish category, and to be perfectly honest that marring is mighty severe, so KAIO isn`t even close to what`s called for.

Audi clear is *HARD* (I`m a long-time Audi nut), so doing it by hand will be incredibly difficult. I"d absolutely get a polisher, no matter how pricey that route seems to be it`ll be worth it.

Then try that Meg`s Ultimate Compound.

Your other stuff seems fine, if rather redundant...don`t buy anything else (besides more wash mitts) until you get a polisher and the UC. I`d absolutely get the polisher set up with 4" pads too.

Just to prove to yourself that you do need the polisher, buy some UC and work the areas behind the doorhandles by hand. See what it takes to remove the fingernail scratches. You have to do those areas by hand anyhow. And yeah..it *can* be done by hand, I`ve BTDT on numerous Audis.

Oh, and I`d sure CD-test those MFs of yours to make sure they won`t cause marring.

Oh#2, keep polishes off the silvery aluminum trim, it fails fast enough as it is without any added abrasion.

craigdt
07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Your right, that paint is pretty beat on. Its hard enough getting out swirls in normal paint by hand, much less Audi paint. KAIO wont touch that.

Next thing to buy: DA polisher

Alexshimshimhae
08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Optimum hyper compound spray? and the non spray--is there a big diff?