PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dodge Viper paint (red 2002 rt10)

vipers_rule
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
hi guys, I have a red 2002 RT10.I find it tough to get much paint correction (mostly just swirls and very light scratches) out of the paint. I am using the PC (newer model) and LC pads with M105,205 and Menzerna FPII. Collinite to finish on a black pad. I did a few test spots over time.

I use the speed setting of 5 and do the proper passing method,etc.

I use mostly the Orange Pad and Yellow Pad for the M105. M205 I use the White LC pad. I clean the pads on the fly.

A good detailer did my car last year with good results but using a FLEX.

So, what are good combos for Dodge Viper paint (red 2002 RT10). The detailer said it was MEDIUM HARDNESS but I cannot seem to get many defects out with the above. Any ideas?

Is this paint hard or soft or?

Thanks! Kevin.

Audiguru
07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
hi guys, I have a red 2002 RT10.I find it tough to get much paint correction (mostly just swirls and very light scratches) out of the paint. I am using the PC (newer model) and LC pads with M105,205 and Menzerna FPII. Collinite to finish on a black pad. I did a few test spots over time.

I use the speed setting of 5 and do the proper passing method,etc.

I use mostly the Orange Pad and Yellow Pad for the M105. M205 I use the White LC pad. I clean the pads on the fly.

A good detailer did my car last year with good results but using a FLEX.

So, what are good combos for Dodge Viper paint (red 2002 RT10). The detailer said it was MEDIUM HARDNESS but I cannot seem to get many defects out with the above. Any ideas?

Is this paint hard or soft or?

Thanks! Kevin.

Is there wax on the car still? is it still beading? cause if theres wax on the car still then your just corecting the wax. If thats the case then do a IPA wipedown and then try to corect the paint.

craigdt
07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Is there wax on the car still? is it still beading? cause if theres wax on the car still then your just corecting the wax. If thats the case then do a IPA wipedown and then try to corect the paint.

105 on orange/ yellow would destroy any wax that might be on there. Think about it: If 105 can level out paint, which we know is much harder than any wax/sealant,

it will take the wax right off.

My guess is that its your technique. Make sure you are taking your time and not rushing things. It sounds like you are keeping your pads clean, so that is good. You might check some threads/vids to compare your technique. PC/orange/105 should be more than enough to get take the swirls right out.

Audiguru
07-31-2010, 12:10 PM
105 on orange/ yellow would destroy any wax that might be on there. Think about it: If 105 can level out paint, which we know is much harder than any wax/sealant,

it will take the wax right off.

My guess is that its your technique. Make sure you are taking your time and not rushing things. It sounds like you are keeping your pads clean, so that is good. You might check some threads/vids to compare your technique. PC/orange/105 should be more than enough to get take the swirls right out.

if theres tons of wax on it like the last jetta that i did then go for waht he said....thats what i do M105/yellow/orange

vipers_rule
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I have heard you should not use a cutting pad on the PC? Why is that? So just stick with a white using just M205? Do not use M105 AT ALL? on my PC?

So M205 with a white pad should get out most of the swirls and fine scratches? If so, then what should I use? I have NXT and Menzerna FP2 and COLLINITE wax. What other pad could I use if the WHITE does not work? Yellow?

thank you! Kevin.

imported_agentf1
08-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I have had great luck on my 01 Sapphire GTS using both the Meguiars 105/205 combo and Menzerna Ceramic polishes. It is softer than Vette paint. I did the KBM with the 105/205 combo and used my Flex with the Menzerna 106FA.

If they are not coming out my guess would be that they are too deep or you are not doing it correctly. The materials you are using are fine.

David Fermani
08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
A PC with a cutting pad (via KBM method) can and will correct your paint. It takes proper technique and lots of experience do it though. You might want to have an experienced detailer either detail your car or give you hands on instructions. If you`re willing to take on the risk and take things into your own hands, then I suggest doing a search for Kevin Brown`s posts here.