PDA

View Full Version : Would scratchX work here?

Penn
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I let my little brother wash my Volvo today, and he used a sponge on some parts and he ended up scratching up some of the car. (mistake #1, lol) Obviously I`m very irritated, but I know it can be fixed. Would ScratchX work on something like this? They are fine scratches, like the polish is almost gone... What is my best course of action?

there`s a lot of discoloration, which is really concerning too..

[attachment=9788:15664.attach]

(sorry for the bad quality pic, but you can get the general jist...)

the picture featured isn`t the only scratch that occurred, but just an example.

thanks!

ThrillHo
07-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Just kind of looks like some nasty marring. What was on the sponge that cause that scratching? Do you have access to a DA or Random Orbital machine? I`d try SwirlX over ScratchX. If that doesn`t work, get Meg`s Ultimate Compound.

Setec Astronomy
07-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Yow, that looks like the dreaded Scotchbrite sponge...you can even see the spot in the middle that he was trying to scrub off. Hard to tell how bad that is with that lighting--but those green/yellow Scotchbrite kitchen sponges can really do a number. If you can spare the cash, and don`t want to waste a lot of time, I`d go with ThrillHo`s suggestion, and go to Wal-Mart and get both the Ultimate Compound and the Swirl-X along with some terry applicators (presuming that you are working by hand). Try the Swirl-X first, and if that doesn`t work, step up to the UC and then back down to the Swirl-X. Just don`t go crazy, because if the marring is too deep you really shouldn`t try to get it all out. If you can`t really feel them with a fingernail you should be good to go, just may require some elbow grease.

Oh, and welcome to Autopia!