PDA

View Full Version : Spray Wax and Sealant Question

Pages : [1] 2

yeebiz
07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Can I use a spray wax (OCW) or spray sealant (UPGP) over a freshly waxed car or is necessary to wait 12+ hours?

Thanks for your help.

imported_Bert
07-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Can I use a spray wax (OCW) or spray sealant (UPGP) over a freshly waxed car or is necessary to wait 12+ hours?

Thanks for your help.

If you are using a wax, you should be fine to follow it with a spray wax or sealant after buffing it off, or do like Scottwax and use OCW to help buff it off. A sealant on the other hand I would recommend giving it atleast 12 hours.

imported_BobbyG
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
The sealants of today are for the most part synthetic and will go toe-to-toe with most Carnauba waxes. Applying car wax or a paint sealant regularly will extend the life and beauty of your vehicle’s paint finish. Carnauba waxes and paint sealants shield the paint from UV rays, environmental pollution, and moisture PLUS your vehicle will look fantastic!

Sealants should be applied first, allowed to cure, then can be over-coated with another layer of sealant or your favorite wax to add depth and more protection.

yeebiz
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
So a WOWA sealant like UPGP should be applied to clean paint with no waxes on it? (just polishes or things like DWG)

Can is be used over something like Klasse AIO?

wascallyrabbit
07-29-2010, 08:33 PM
for best performance the paint should be clean. it will go on over kiao just fine, have done it many times.

craigdt
07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
For a sealant to have maximum adherence, you want a clean surface.

yeebiz
07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
I want to thank everyone for the responses.

I now know how I need to properly use UPGP. Still have questions though.

Here is what I`m trying to achieve. There are friends and family cars that I am detailing that I know will not see this treatment again until next year. I want to give the most durable longest lasting protection in one session.

I have been throwing a layer of UPGP over Collinite 845. I understand that it isn`t the proper way to do it but....

Will it at least provide some benefit?

Can I put UPGP on a freshly waxed car?

Can I spray OCW over a freshly waxed car to help get longer protection?

Basically can I top a freshly waxed car with spray products like these or do I need to give time for the 845 to cure before topping with a spray?

craigdt
07-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Well honestly, I would just lay down a good layer of Collinite and let it do its thing. You could maybe put down the UPGP first then layer the Collinite a few hours later.

UPGP will not bond to a wax. but a wax will bond to UPGP. It, especially among sealants, really likes a good clean surface.

Now, maybe you could spray a carnauba spray wax on top of a carnauba wax, but personally, I would avoid spraying a sealant based spray on top of a fresh wax.

tmg19103
08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
UPGP will not bond to wax well. It will (read this on the Ultima website forum as ways back - posted by Ultima) actually reduce the longevity of the wax, and possibly even removed it (depending on type of wax) - all while the UPGP does not adhere well, so it appears ot be a waste of time to me. I do UPGP over DWG just fine. You can also top UPGP with an nuba just fine. If your goal is to lengthen the lifespan of a nuba by topping it with UPGP, you are actually doing the opposite.

Alexshimshimhae
08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
What do you think is the longest lasting/best sealant in the market? I plan on testing the 476 and 845 but i was wondering if there was anything to last longer to put under it--because detailing in the city is a pita

gonzojd7
08-03-2010, 01:02 AM
What do you think is the longest lasting/best sealant in the market? I plan on testing the 476 and 845 but i was wondering if there was anything to last longer to put under it--because detailing in the city is a pita

I believe 476/845 are waxes and not sealants. I`ve read that sealants usually go first then waxes over them after a 8-12 hr curing time. Most of the forums recommend it in that order. As for specific long/lasting sealants, it`s really up to your personal preference. A search on any forum always reveals different opinions on that. What I do go by is the majority of users and ease of use but that also depends on the location variables such as average temperature, humidity, basic weather conditions. What`s good and works for someone in Alaska may not be good for someone in Florida. What I`m trying to say is you must experiment with what works in your environment and weather conditions. I live in the southeast and I need more Sun/UV protection as opposed to Snow/salt protection. Because of that I`ve had great success using Klasse aio & sealant glaze topped with 845. The finish is smooth and slick lasting a good 3 months minimum. I hope this simplified things...

akimel
08-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Based only upon the anecdotal testimonies I have read on various detailing forums, I would guess that the most durable waxes and sealants on the market are (in no particular order):

Collinite 476s

Collinite 915

Collinite 845

Finish Kare 1000p

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze

Zaino

Duragloss 105/601

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus exclusively on our CR-V. Two coats seemed to get us through last year`s winter, but the car is garaged. If UPGP is going to be your choice for winter sealant, I would clean the paint surface (perhaps using a paint cleaner like Four Star Pre-Wax Cleanser or a cleaner sealant like KAIO), apply a coat of UPGP, allow it to cure for 12 hours, and then apply a second coat of UPGP.

For winter protection, I do not believe in mixing different waxes and sealants, for fear of compromising durability. Choose the most durable protectant available to you and stick with it.

tmg19103
08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
3 coats of UPGP with time to cure between coats easily lasts me a 5 month winter - this with a non-daily driver that never gets driven in snow/salt, but parked outside all winter in the northeast (Philly). You can still see the the look it gives of an extra coat of clear if there is dirt on it and you look at just the right angle - even after a 5 month winter in my experience.

Legacy
08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
The sealants of today are for the most part synthetic and will go toe-to-toe with most Carnauba waxes. Applying car wax or a paint sealant regularly will extend the life and beauty of your vehicle’s paint finish. Carnauba waxes and paint sealants shield the paint from UV rays, environmental pollution, and moisture PLUS your vehicle will look fantastic!

Sealants should be applied first, allowed to cure, then can be over-coated with another layer of sealant or your favorite wax to add depth and more protection.

"Carnauba waxes and paint sealants shield the paint from UV rays,"

Do you know this for a fact? OCW says it has UV protectant in their product. Carnauba wax repels water, but does it protect from UV?

akimel
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
"Carnauba waxes and paint sealants shield the paint from UV rays,"

Do you know this for a fact? OCW says it has UV protectant in their product. Carnauba wax repels water, but does it protect from UV?

I have never seen any scientific documentation of the claim that carnauba protects from UV radiation, though I have seen this claim advanced multiple times on internet forums. It seems like a reasonable claim, and I do not know of any contrary evidence.