PDA

View Full Version : so what`s your 2010 arsenal?

Alexshimshimhae
07-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Just kind of curious as to how some of your favorite picks have changed in the past few years/months/days(some of you are just that nuts)

Also kind of curious to see if you pros kind of stick to the older time tested stuff..or if you`re all about the newer products.

Any explanations/rationale/logic would be cool too.

Mindflux
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
A bit of everything. I`m still loving Zaino, trying BFWD, Trying 4*UPP. I have my mainstays but I love trying new things out. Never hurts, right? :)

Alexshimshimhae
07-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I`m still trying to sort through it all, but the products from what I can tell on forums seem to be

BFWD

Op`s new spray compound/polish

Meg`s 105/205

Opti-seal

For me, right now i`m also rethinking getting the LK ccs pads since people seem to complain about the quality of the pads(velco comes off?)..but so far I think

Mothers claybarkit (though I think I`m going to try to see about getting better claybar?)

1Z for polish (Thanks Accumulator)

Collinite (915, 845, 476; though not sure I need them all, but figure I might play with combos on the Lexus, BMW 3-series, and the Protege)

I think I might pickup the Megs new QD spray.

Still haven`t figured out what I`m going to do about tires, wheels, headlights, interior, wheel well, engine and undercarriage....

Alexshimshimhae
08-04-2010, 12:03 PM
OK so whew... Thanks to everyone on forums (first and foremost)

This is what I`ve ordered

cyan tangerine and the third hyrdotech pads(red was it?)

Meg`s hyper dressing (gal)

Meg`s spray bottle

ONR(gal)

Collinite 845 476 915

Mothers Claybar Kit

The ONR I figure I`ll use as:

Wash (obviously)

Wheel clean

Claybar lube

(wondering if it works as engine degreaser/wheel well?)

MEg`s Hyper I figure

Wheel Dressing

Engine Dressing (any other uses?)

WHAT I AM SAVING UP FOR

Flex 105/205 kit with the CCS pads (unless you think the megs soft buff 2.0 pads are a better buy?)

Optimum hyper compound spray

Optimum hyper Polish Spray

in the mean time, I`m thinking that I should get a small bottle of hand polish or something...(I think i`ll pick up a bottle of 1z...not sure which?) but kind of dreading the idea of having to hand polish a car for like 5 hours =[ (I don`t trust myself with my rotary--and frankly, didn`t want to buy the backing plate and stuffs....ran outa money)

Any suggestions on applications combo`s or additions to my partial kit would be appreciated :D my family owns a Silver Lexus GS, Blue 2003 Mazda protege, White BMW 3series, and going to be helping my friends blue STI.

Accumulator
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Alexshimshimhae- Hold it, I`m confused....you`re buying pads but still talking about doing polishing by hand? And I`d *MUCH* rather have some cyan + tangerine than tangerine + red.

Noting that some of this will be after the fact if you`ve already ordered...

I wouldn`t spend money on Meguiar`s brand bottles and I wouldn`t buy an engine dressing or wheel dressing (wheels or tires?). I`d just buy one Collinite for now (probably 845).

I wouldn`t buy the Optimum until you`ve done plenty of work with the M105/M205 (or vice-versa).

I`d rather get the Meg`s 2.0 pads than the CCS myself, at least for use with M105/M205, but I wouldn`t buy any other pads until you`ve worked with the HydroTechs for a while.

Don`t buy redundant products; stick with one approach until you`ve learned/mastered it and are in a position to make a valid comparison if/when you try something else. Otherwise the temptation will be to switch back and forth and never really get a firm foundation of first-hand experience.

Alexshimshimhae
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Alexshimshimhae- Hold it, I`m confused....you`re buying pads but still talking about doing polishing by hand? And I`d *MUCH* rather have some cyan + tangerine than tangerine + red.

I bought all three--it was really late and I was burnt out from studying and forgot to take it out when I realized I couldn`t afford the flex--so thinking maybe any polishes and compounds will have to be done via microfiber pad or something?

I wouldn`t spend money on Meguiar`s brand bottles and I wouldn`t buy an engine dressing or wheel dressing (wheels or tires?). I`d just buy one Collinite for now (probably 845).

the 915 was honestly purely for experimental purposes (kind of kicking myself in the head right now) For now, I`m thinking I`ll see what kind of look it gives--and depending on how long it lasts/looks I`ll see what it`s good for--or maybe gift it to a friend xD. Unless you mean i can use collinite for tires or wheels? I bought the Meg`s because well..someone said esp since you dilute it, it lasts you forever and that it was good because it doesn`t attract dirt and had a good look (but what do i know...) along with giving decent protection? I figure I`ll use it for the tires--but My friend i think would want to dress his engine (no one looks at my engine really cept my mechanic so i figure just a cleaning will suffice)

I wouldn`t buy the Optimum until you`ve done plenty of work with the M105/M205 (or vice-versa).

The reason I chose the optimum for FUTURE purchase was i figured when i get the Flex, I`ll prolly be working out by the street--so maybe outdoor friendly would work better...honestly though--if i had both i guess I would try to see which seems easier to work with and perfect that first (i`d rather get proficient at one first)

I`d rather get the Meg`s 2.0 pads than the CCS myself, at least for use with M105/M205, but I wouldn`t buy any other pads until you`ve worked with the HydroTechs for a while. I guess I`ll get the soft buff 2.0 set then? Kind of curious to see which pads are better for what--but i figure maybe i`ll give the megs pads a spin for compound polish and hydro techs for sealant/glaze/lsp? (bad idea?)

Don`t buy redundant products; stick with one approach until you`ve learned/mastered it and are in a position to make a valid comparison if/when you try something else. Otherwise the temptation will be to switch back and forth and never really get a firm foundation of first-hand experience.

Starting to feel this way sir--truth be told, part of the reason why I bought so much stuff was partially for experimentation purposes, but also cause I was kind of curious what the points would come out to.

In a nutshell,

ONR - Wash car/tires/wheels/engine(?)

Mothers Claybar(next buy i`ll pick up sonus green)

1Z Paint Polish (for hand with microfiber pads untill i get flex?)(1Z Einszett Paint Polish Lack-Politur (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-paint-polish.html) and is this the right one?)

Collinite 845

Meg`s hyper on the tires and friends engine bay

Next morning top collinite 476 (do i use coll for windows too?)

With Flex,

More than likely:

ONR wash

Claybar

Softbuff pad with M105/M205

(Do I wash here?)

Collinite 845 hydrotech pad(wait I think you said these should be done by hand...)

Collinite 476 by hand

Now that I think about it--not quite sure what I`;d use the hydrotech for then lol.

I definitely intend on going back through the threads again and organizing notes after I take my CPA examination on Friday because I have this burning sensation that`s telling me I`ve got something terribly wrong or I`m missing something.

Accumulator
08-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Alexshimshimae- I`d just use the Hydrotech pads, period.

Collinite is OK on wheels but I`d use the 845 or 476S for that.

For how to use M105/M205, when to wash, etc. I`d consult one of the threads that explain the KBM.

Good luck with the CPA exam (I got my BS in accounting, back in the early `80s). Heh heh, I`d be concentrating entirely on that myself ;)

Alexshimshimhae
08-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I know =[ but so eager to get my hands dirty and finally figure out a method that suites me with what products runs through my head =[ lol

as for the KB Method you`re absolutely right--was just checking to see if anything`s changed since lol

As always sir, I am indebted to you :) thnx a ton.