PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Car in September, what do I need to know about detailing it?

AikenForJeff
07-21-2010, 06:13 PM
First of all, this is my first thread but I promise I DID use the search and couldn`t find any threads likes this.

I`m 22 and I`ve owned two Ford F-150`s and my current garage is a 2008 Subaru Impreza that is on lease and up in September. The lease has let me experiment a lot and figure out some different techniques. I should let all of you know the paint is the worst quality I`ve ever seen on an automobile... and I`ve been caring for it meticulously since it had 4 miles on it (21k now). The front bumper is pretty badly mangled from sand on the highway and i used a snow brush (I know, sorry, but I learned my lesson) and that left permanent scratches

In September I`m buying a new car, something cheap and reasonably like a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry or something like that. My question is what do I need to know about caring for a new car? Please note that it will not have the highest quality paint. This car will be parked outdoors and I live in RI where the roads are terrible quality and I get a decent amount of sand spit on my front bumper.

Thanks.

(901)
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Wash it weekly and wax it monthly. Once a year do a correction, and get a clear bra

2007TBSS
07-21-2010, 06:56 PM
In my opinion, the MOST important thing is to not jack the paint up in the first place, then you won`t need a corrections.

Learn to wash properly, buy a good detail spray for drying, only use quality MF or 100% cotton towels, frequently snapping your towels out, and then apply a good wax 3-4 times per year.

YouTube - Washing Your Vehicle Using The Two-Bucket Method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xobp-uptqtA)

AikenForJeff
07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I`m fairly new to detailing but I have a great set of MF towels and I`ve always used the two bucket method. The only things I`m missing are a power washer (or one that won`t strip the paint) and a rotary polisher. I`m glad to find out there`s nothing different about caring for a new car. I`ll definitely look into a clear bra

BigAl3
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
In September I`m buying a new car, something cheap and reasonably like a Ford Fusion or Toyota Camry or something like that.

look into the new hyundai sonata, i would choose that over both mentioned...

Thomas Dekany
07-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Most important is to get the right color. White, silver or any light metallic color. That alone makes a huge diffference.

If you could afford it, have the whole car wrapped/cleared. - this would be my first choice.

Have someone put opti coat on your car.

DO NOT let the stealership touch the car, meaning get a car fresh off the truck.

Good luck!

Junebug
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Right on Thomas - don`t let the dealer "wash, detail or even get near" your paint. Use a quality car wash like DG, buy some grit guards for the buckets, grout sponge, clay it with AutoMagic blue, rewash, and I`m partial to BFWD for the LSP. Next wash - do a second coat of BFWD, then every couple months.

Cars - we just bought our daughter a Mazda 3, S GT, listed for $24.7K, got it for $23K out the door with 0% for 60 months. It`s got a lot of features, safe, first tank was 27.93mpg too. Just a thought...

AikenForJeff
07-23-2010, 04:46 PM
My budget is about 280 a month and i have 4k to put down. that means buying a car around 17-18k, which puts the sticket price around 20. truecar.com quoted a 2010 sonata with a sticker price of 21k currently being bought for $16,700. boo yah.

how soon do i wax it once i get it? the paint already feels waxed when i get it. sorry i`m a noob when it comes to caring for brand new vehicles. p.s. sister just bought a 2010 civic today. got one right off the truck :)

should i citrus wash it asap and then wax? asap meaning first day

Thomas Dekany
07-24-2010, 02:23 AM
The paint is baked - you can wax asap.

wash clay

polish wax

enjoy the ride

ja10
07-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I just picked up a new Subaru, and it had some sort of waxy-ish finish on it. My first step was to wash with Dawn Ultra, just to know that I was starting with a clean slate.

AikenForJeff
07-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Why does everyone talk about washing with Dawn? That`s dish soap right? Am I missing something?

ja10-- Clear bra at least the front bumper if you can. Subarus have ridiculously thin paint and it takes next to nothing to tear up the clear coat.

David Fermani
07-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Because it safely cleans oils and debris and is great prior to not only polishing, but sealing in your finish.

ja10
07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
I only used Dawn the first time. Most normal car wash soaps do not strip off wax (for good reason). I wanted to make sure the car was bare before applying Zaino.

Thanks for the advice on the clear bra. I have been thinking about it.