PDA

View Full Version : Tried everything to remove road paint!

keighbear
07-18-2010, 06:25 AM
I`ve got a Ford that has very small pieces of what I assume is road paint all over the front end. I`ve tried Goo-Gone, Goo-off, tar remover, lacquer thinner, wd-40, claying, etc. and nothing touches it. One bodyshop suggested wet-sanding the front end to remove it. Before I go that far is there anything else I should try?

Paul

salty
07-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Apply Vasoline and let it sit overnight.

Accumulator
07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I removed it from the beater-Audi by letting FK1119 dwell for a looong time and then carefully scraping with a plastic razor blade. That paint had been on there for months too.

Mindflux
07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I removed it from the beater-Audi by letting FK1119 dwell for a looong time and then carefully scraping with a plastic razor blade. That paint had been on there for months too.

MONTHS? Man did someone break both of your legs? I can`t imagine you letting anything go that long.:chuckle:

Nickshades
07-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I have been in this position before and its a PITA to get off. I was successful with a thorough cleaning with some tarminator and a plastic razor blade. I think I have read somewhere about soaking it with white vinegar on a paper towel for 10-15 min to loosen up the paint (I could be confused with concrete on the paint though), but that`s just my 2 cents.

Accumulator
07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
MONTHS? Man did someone break both of your legs? I can`t imagine you letting anything go that long.:chuckle:

That was back before the original owner had me detail it for the first time. Who *knows* how long that stuff was really on there!

She`s *still* saying how that was the best car she ever had, just couldn`t deal with its constant issues. Simply *wonderful* lady, so I give her a pass on any apparent neglect/abuse she might`ve subjected that car to.

94 NDTA
07-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Take a razor and put a very very very slight curve to it. Use that to take it off, no chemicals needed. Also, be very carefull obviously. Removed with the bowed out portion angled towards your paint, and the very edges of the razor up away from the paint.

Bobolinko
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I`ve got a Ford that has very small pieces of what I assume is road paint all over the front end. I`ve tried Goo-Gone, Goo-off, tar remover, lacquer thinner, wd-40, claying, etc. and nothing touches it. One bodyshop suggested wet-sanding the front end to remove it. Before I go that far is there anything else I should try?

Paul

This will work,

Use rubber gloves, or you will start to taste garlic, altho it is really not harmful to you:

Saturate a rag with WD40 and keep rubbing the area that has the paint spot and it will eventually disappear. It has for me on MANY of my friends, and kid`s cars... :idea

Thomas Dekany
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
We (me and Conan777) removed road paint easily from a BMW sideskirt/lower fender with nail polish remover that was on the car for years

Woob
07-21-2010, 11:20 PM
3M Paint Removal Strips, still have em with me. Should work.

Vegas1
07-22-2010, 05:36 AM
We (me and Conan777) removed road paint easily from a BMW sideskirt/lower fender with nail polish remover that was on the car for years

Nail polish remover has also worked for me, when other methods have failed.