PDA

View Full Version : Dr Colorhip system on repainted surfaces, can it be used?

imported_RedlineIRL
07-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I have been going back and forth on how I plan on fixing an annoying rock chip on the front bumper on my car, and I think I have narrowed the choices down to using the Dr Colorchip system if it is safe to use for my application. The front bumper on my car has been repanted, so using a system that requires some sort of solvent to remove excess blobbing kind of has me nervous fearing that the surrounding pant could possibly be removed or the finish really dulled after reading the caution statement on Langka`s FAQ page.

I have emailed Dr Colorchip regarding if their kit was 100% safe to use on repanted surfaces, but I pretty much got a generic unhelpful email respinse back that never stated weather or not it is reccomended for my use. Has anyone here personally used the Dr Colochip kit on any areas of a car that have been reapnted? Did you have any problems with the kit causing damage to the repainted areas, or dulling the rest of the unharmed finish after wiping off excess paint with the solution?

The kit also come with the SealAct blending solution, which is supposed to remove the excess paint blobbing and smearing and leave it only in the chipped area. What exactly is this stuff is it a liquid or more like a compound or polish, is it lacquer thinner?

If I decide that I do not like the results, can the pant from the filled area be removed easily with the solution?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I just want to be sure that I really don`t screw something up and be out of $40 also in the process. If you all could help me I`d really appreciate it

Accumulator
07-17-2010, 11:37 AM
RedlineIRL- Noting that I don`t know from anything about Dr Paintchip....I`d bet dollars to doughnuts that that "solution" is at least as risky on your repaint as the Langka stuff. [Insert umpteenth post about how I`d risk the Langka]

Heh heh, guess I`m getting old...refresh my memory here- this is nonmetallic red, right? Can`t quite remember. If so, man, I`d probably just get the paint on there. If I were really nervous about the various leveling methods, I just wouldn`t do that. Gee, I guess that I oughta be more dissatisfied with the unleveled (and not-matching-worth-[crap] ) touchups on my S8, but they simply don`t bother me.

imported_RedlineIRL
07-17-2010, 04:51 PM
RedlineIRL- Noting that I don`t know from anything about Dr Paintchip....I`d bet dollars to doughnuts that that "solution" is at least as risky on your repaint as the Langka stuff. [Insert umpteenth post about how I`d risk the Langka]

So you`re saying that you don`t think that it is risky? That will be good if it isn`t. Didn`t you say that you used the Langka before on a repaint before? I think I`ll be able to get by on mine with the Dr Colorhip, but hopefully some others can chime in who have used it on repaints.

Heh heh, guess I`m getting old...refresh my memory here- this is nonmetallic red, right? Can`t quite remember. If so, man, I`d probably just get the paint on there. If I were really nervous about the various leveling methods, I just wouldn`t do that. Gee, I guess that I oughta be more dissatisfied with the unleveled (and not-matching-worth-[crap] ) touchups on my S8, but they simply don`t bother me.

Yep, just standard non metallic bright red. Trust me, I am getting something on there. I just want to make it looks good and not screw up the rest of the finish while at it with an unknown "solution".:xyxthumbs Personally, I can`t stand touchups, I hate them and avoid them at all costs (mainly because I end up making them look like crap), but this little white mark just stands out way too much for my tastes to ignore

Accumulator
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
RedlineIRL- Sorry, I didn`t mean to be inscrutible :o

I think the Dr. Colorchip stuff will be at least as risky as the Langka, but that`s just a wild guess.

Yeah, I`ve used Langka on repaints. It went OK...BUT I`ve also used it to *remove* old touchups, and that made me think that I needed to be pretty careful using it at all on repainted areas, so I was just nice and gentle about it...no really long dwell-times, no hard rubbing.

Eh, you don`t really want to bet the farm on *my* experience though, do you ;) I mean, there are a whole lotta variables and no way will *any* such stuff be all that great for use on a repaint IMO. I`d almost lean towards wetsanding...almost.

What I really think yhou oughta do is apply the touchup paint (regular touchup paint, with basecoat and then clear) and see how good/smooth/blob-free you can get it. Then consider just *living with it* that way. If you just can`t stand it, then I would try the Langka, very, very carefully. But that`d be a mighty big "if" for me as I`d try to live with it.

Heh heh, spend enough time here at Autopia and you won`t be leery of wetsanding it for long ;)