PDA

View Full Version : Topping Blackfire Wet Diamond?

Pages : [1] 2

Alen003
07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey guys, I`ve been doing a little research and checking out this site daily on detailing and am gonna start with one myself. I`m gonna wash and degrease to strip away any old wax that may be on the car then follow with a clay bar and QD. Next do a polish combination of M105(don`t think I`ll need), then M205 with a white LC pad. I wanna put a good two coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant and let it cure and everything. My question is can you top the Blackfire with say a coat of Autoglym HD car wax. Would this enhance the look for the better or the worse. I`m a newb guys sorry.

Thanks.

DM101
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Welcome --- IMO BFWD will give you a awesome look. No need to top with anything. If you get the fever top again with another coat of BFWD in a few weeks.

akimel
07-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Last May I topped BWD with Midnight Sun (their Fire & Ice combo) to see if I could see a real difference. I honestly don`t know. I will say that shortly afterwards someone stopped in a parking lot and complimented my car. Perhaps they would have complimented it if it had been dressed only in the BWD.

BWD can certainly stand on its own as a great looking sealant. If you top it you will lose a little bit of the slickness. Whether you`ll gain anything in terms of depth or wetness is something you can only find out by doing. So go ahead and top it with your favorite carnauba waxes and find out.

nosbusa1700
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes, you can top with Autoglym HD, Midnight sun, Fuzion, Zymol, etc. I haven`t had any problems topping BFWD. Topping BFWD does change the looks a little bit, but nothing dramatic.

The only negative thing I can think of (not really a big deal though) is that your paint won`t be as slick as with BFWD only.

Topping with a carnauba might help if you get a bird bomb. A year or so ago I had only BFWD on my wife`s car when it got hit by a bird bomb on the hood. Even though it was removed pretty quick it still etched the paint. I`ve topped pretty much all of my sealants (except duragloss) with a carnauba and haven`t had anymore problems with etching. Not sure if this was just a coincidence, or just bad luck that day.

Rob Tomlin
07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, you can top with Autoglym HD, Midnight sun, Fuzion, Zymol, etc. I haven`t had any problems topping BFWD. Topping BFWD does change the looks a little bit, but nothing dramatic.

The only negative thing I can think of (not really a big deal though) is that your paint won`t be as slick as with BFWD only.

Topping with a carnauba might help if you get a bird bomb. A year or so ago I had only BFWD on my wife`s car when it got hit by a bird bomb on the hood. Even though it was removed pretty quick it still etched the paint. I`ve topped pretty much all of my sealants (except duragloss) with a carnauba and haven`t had anymore problems with etching. Not sure if this was just a coincidence, or just bad luck that day.

A bird bomb will etch the paint period, regardless of what LSP you have used.

Rob Tomlin
07-16-2010, 03:44 PM
By the way, in terms of topping BFWD, I have been using OCW, and it seems to work very well.

I generally don`t care for "topping", but OCW is a great way to easily maintain the finish and keep the protection up to snuff.

Legacy
07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
By the way, in terms of topping BFWD, I have been using OCW, and it seems to work very well.

I generally don`t care for "topping", but OCW is a great way to easily maintain the finish and keep the protection up to snuff.

I`m with you Rob. Been topping BF with OCW looks good and soooo easy. Your statement about a bird bomb will etch the paint period. It depends on what the bird was eating. Some are more caustic then others.

Alen003
07-16-2010, 11:38 PM

When you say it changes the look a little bit, is that for the better? Thanks. Also Legacy and Rob, sorry but whats OCW short for.

Rob Tomlin
07-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Optimum Car Wax.

Rob Tomlin
07-17-2010, 01:12 AM
I`m with you Rob. Been topping BF with OCW looks good and soooo easy. Your statement about a bird bomb will etch the paint period. It depends on what the bird was eating. Some are more caustic then others.

I agree, and what I was meaning to say is that I don`t think there is any difference in whether the bird poop will etch the paint based on the LSP that is used.

Lonnie
07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Bird bombs are some of THE worst natual hazards to paints, followed closely by tree sap and wet leaves.

Here in the USA upper Midwest, Seagulls are the worst because of their high protein diet of fish, earthworms, and insects.

Next are red-breasted Robins, again because of their high protein diet of worms and insects. Lastly are Canadian Geese.

All three are found in abundance here in the Midwest. Anyone who lives or works in areas next to water KNOWs well the problems with geese and seagulls excrement.

You really need to be vigilant about getting bird bombs removed from your paint as-soon-as-possible. While as Rob Tomlin states, there is no sealant/wax that will protect your paint from bird bomb etching that is left one your paint for an extended period of time, you can limit damage by having a quality sealant/wax on your paint and then doing washes/quick detailing sprays on bird bombed areas as soon as they occur. People who feel that today`s clearcoat paints don`t need sealing/waxing are the ones with etched paints.

This advice probably goes in the area of common sense, but as the saying goes, "Common sense isn`t so common."

mystickid
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
How about BFWD as a topper to waxes? I`ve got 845 as a base, topped with #26, topped with Natty`s blue right now. Would BFWD (a sealant) work well (be as durable/glossy) on top of the waxes?

Legacy
07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
How about BFWD as a topper to waxes? I`ve got 845 as a base, topped with #26, topped with Natty`s blue right now. Would BFWD (a sealant) work well (be as durable/glossy) on top of the waxes?You may have a bonding issue using a sealant over a wax. If the wax is cured it may not be a problem. Try it and let us know.

akimel
07-19-2010, 04:27 PM
You may have a bonding issue using a sealant over a wax. If the wax is cured it may not be a problem. Try it and let us know.

Good advice. Conventional wisdom, of course, says that one should not apply a sealant on top of a carnauba wax, but sometimes conventional wisdom is wrong ... What, after all, is the worst that could happen? I doubt you will wake up in the morning and find that the sealant has slipped off the paint and is now puddled all around the car. ;)

Rob Tomlin
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
How about BFWD as a topper to waxes? I`ve got 845 as a base, topped with #26, topped with Natty`s blue right now. Would BFWD (a sealant) work well (be as durable/glossy) on top of the waxes?

No.

On so many levels....no.