PDA

View Full Version : DG901 VS. Chemical Guys GlossWorkz Paintwork Cleanser (Maintenance Washes)

mystickid
07-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Both CG 901 and Chemical Guys GlossWorkz Paintwork Cleanser are Ph balanced maintenance washes.

Looking for a noticeable glossier/shinier look on the paint after the wash. Not worried about suds but Lubricity matters.

Which wash would you choose and why?

1) DG 901

2)Chemical Guys GlossWorkz Paintwork Cleanser

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
DG 901 (and 902 aka gallon size) is available OTC. That`s reason enough for me.

steelwind101
07-15-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi

I recently did a quick review of GlossWorkz somewhere else a few months back. Here is what i thought:

DG90X has been my staple wash along with Mothers Cali Gold for a good few years now. I think it cleans really well and wont strip wax. When i say clean it will remove dirt and do it safely, it has tonnes of lubrication. The final rinse is easy and it clears off the car well regardless of LSP, i dont think it leaves the car looking all that great, i would always hit the car with QD to add some zing back to the finish.

Glossworkz is another story; It isnt a fantastic cleaner, certantly here in the UK we get alot of stuff chucked up from the road in wet weather which is pretty often and a week of hard driving i dont believe you would get a good clean from wash and pre soak with this product. It isnt as lubie as DG90X either. However where it comes in to its own is the amazing finish it leaves! It really does leave a pretty good layer of protection and good looking finish. Its ideal for the summer and spring washes and even in the autumn but it wont even wash away bug residue with the ease that the DG product does.

I tested the product at the rated dilution ratio, and there ratios i always use. The CG Glossworkz will go further then the DG does, i believe the DG is 1oz per US Gallon of water. The Glossworkz is 1oz for 5US Gallons.

I always say that 90% of CGs range is not that great and that stands true, the Glossworkz is in the 10% of decent products. However as usual they manage to use a confusing way to say this is a paintwork cleanser. All they mean is at 1oz per US Gallon it will be strong enough to strip protection products. I have tried and tested it, it is not a paintwork cleanser in the way that say Poorboys Pro Polish is or PPCL is.

Glossworkz will not remove below the surface contamination etc.

If your cleaning really is "light to medium" then the Glossworkz is great! If you are up against a lot of cleaning get the DG and bring back the zing with some Clearkote QuickShine or OCW after washing.

The only bad point about the shine/protection left by Glossworkz is that it is very sealant like. It reminds of using FK425, it looks good you know its there but its like adding a different product so to speak. So over your deep, wet $200 Zymol of Swissvax you might not appreciate it!

Also, consider Einszett/1Z monthly wash aka "Perls". It safely cleans better then Glossworkz and leaves alot of protection behind, the looks it leaves is more of a compliment to your exisiting protection ie. it wont leave its own style of finish. Which i think is good if you have something unique on the surface.

Geoff

mystickid
07-16-2010, 06:07 PM
steel,

Thank you for the superbly detailed reply. I didn`t know that Glossworkz was flawed by its lack of "good" cleaning abilities. Many Thanks for sharing your experience. Other Glossworkz experiences welcome..

BigAl3
07-16-2010, 09:51 PM
the glossworkz is good for a maintenance wash (leaves a slightly shinier finish but not as deep cleaning as the DG CWC), but for something more i would use the DG CWC (it can be used more than the 1oz per gallon recommendation as i asked someone at DG). both are great soaps, but for an all around soap i would get the DG CWC...

mystickid
07-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the input Al.

Alfisti
07-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I would also suggest another option.

Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner is the best car shampoo I`ve used. Haven`t tried 1Z Perls or the two you`re asking about, so sorry for taking this thread in a slightly different direction.

I *have* used most of Megs shampoos, Mothers and several others. AG beats them all in lubricity, cleaning and glossy/protected finish. It is low sudsing but high lubricity...clever Brits. Can`t play cricket but make brilliant car care products. ;)

Looking for a noticeable glossier/shinier look on the paint after the wash. Not worried about suds but Lubricity matters.

This is the one for you.

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/116552/autoglym-shampoo-i1.jpg

mystickid
07-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Oooh I`m always up for trying something new Alfisti and it seems like your found a shampoo catering to what I`m looking for. So you notice a punch of gloss after the wash?

Alfisti
07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
So you notice a punch of gloss after the wash?

Definitely. More than anything I`ve used before. Not only improves gloss but also makes the paint bead really well - even if your LSP is on its way out.

What`s the *most* amazing thing is how it cleans. It cleans what other shampoos leave behind and it does it using only 20ml in 10lts of water. That`s roughly 1/3 fl.oz. to 2 gallons water. Very economical. I generally use less than 2 gallons but the same amount of shampoo. Still very dilute and I always wonder how it does it. :up

Alfisti
07-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Here`s where you can by it a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Autoglym-BSC500US-Bodywork-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B00117DXQY/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1279389275&sr=1-8

That`s 25 gloss-enhancing washes for under 8 bucks.

mystickid
07-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks M8.

steelwind101
07-18-2010, 06:39 AM
The great thing about the Autoglym wash is how easily it washes free!

Bunky
07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Iz Perls seems like washing with ONR in a traditional bucket. It has minimal suds and you need to dry completely with a towel since it does not rinse like a soap does (leaves streaks) also like ONR.

mystickid
07-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Would any of you guys Use CG Citrus wash N Clear over DG 901? I really want to try it for the versatility as a wax remover/polishing prep shampoo. Vs 901...would you say CWC is lubricious enough? clean rinsing?

BigAl3
07-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Would any of you guys Use CG Citrus wash N Clear over DG 901?

the CWC is a little more versatile as you can use 1 ounce to 4-5 gallons of water for a maintance wash, or dilute it more for prep (2 ounces to 1 gallon). i like the DG CWC a little more for the lubricity and it smells better too LOL. you can`t go wrong with either and 1 gallon will last for a while...