PDA

View Full Version : Tiny rough spots on plastic panels - sap?

someidiot
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I`ve got these tiny little white spots on my front & rear bumper, and only on the bumpers, which are the only plastic exterior panels. My wife`s car had this same stuff on her front & rear bumper, as do many other cars in our parking area, leading me to believe it`s some sort of sap.

Claybarring the paint hasn`t removed it at all. Neither did ScratchX. Do you guys have any thoughts on what it is and what can be used to remove it?

They`re really small, about the size of a pinhead each.

http://jake.tnmccoys.com/misc/sap.JPG

Mindflux
07-13-2010, 12:08 PM
To me that almost looks like overspray to me but the fact it`s limited to your bumpers makes me think it`s just surface contamination. You may need to get a more aggressive clay bar or try something with some cleaning properties in it like P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or comparable.

I`m sure others will also chime in on the issue.

someidiot
07-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I was considering just getting some bug & tar remover. I did also consider a more aggressive clay, but I heard you have to follow aggressive clay with polish, and I don`t yet own a polishing setup.

I actually tried KAIO on it yesterday and I don`t think it made much of a difference.

Mindflux
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I was considering just getting some bug & tar remover. I did also consider a more aggressive clay, but I heard you have to follow aggressive clay with polish, and I don`t yet own a polishing setup.

I actually tried KAIO on it yesterday and I don`t think it made much of a difference.

If KAIO didn`t remove it you can skip the P21s suggestion. Your next best bet will be something like bug & tar remover or some 3M adhesive remover. Just make sure to clean the area real well after using it.

someidiot
07-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Anyone else have opinions on this stuff? Should I try something like IronX?