PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin, Grout Sponge, or Microfiber mitt? For everybody

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Ol' Red
07-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I would like to know everyones opinion on what they believe is the best wash media out there.

spartacus_33
07-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Please use the search.This has been covered a zillion times.

Lonnie
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
If you are going make this a true poll representative of the washing medias available today, you need to add:

Cotton Chenelle Pads

Cotton Chenelle Mitts

Microfber Pads

Man-made Sponge (Other than Grout)

Natural Sea Sponge

Schmitt Pads

Boar Hair Brushes

Power Washer (Don`t use sponge/pad/mitt/brush)

I know that this washing media issue has been discussed ad-finium (Latin for "Like, forever!") but I think it needs to be re-opened again and I thought about doing this very poll on this issue, but was not sure how to set it up. It just needs the addition of the forementioned items to be a more accurate poll.

sulla
07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
I agree.. There`s no end to best [thing] thread... Because best is ever changing...

Yes you can do a search... But what`s the best for [any respected autopian] 3 months ago may not be the case today..

Just like cotton used to be the best polishing cloth.. these days MF has won us over..

Traditional wash is the best wash method...now rinseless washing is the best for many autopians

Wow..grout sponge wins 2 to 1 so far :)

Junebug
07-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Grout sponge rules!

David Fermani
07-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I really like using Home Depot Grout Sponges!! They release dirt much better than sheepskin/wool mitts and are only $2. Look for the ones Made in Greece.

QEP Extra Large Grouting Sponge, 7-1/2 x 5-1/2 x 2 In., Rectangle with Rounded Corners, 1 Pack Bag - 70005-144 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Flooring-Tools-Accessories-Tile-Tools-Accessories-Sponges/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zbnfw/R-100173109/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Pats300zx
07-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I am a big fan of the grout sponges also David. I used to be a heavy sheepskin mitt user. After trying the grout sponge I haven`t looked back.

Scottwax
07-13-2010, 10:54 PM
No microfiber covered foam pad, no care.

BigAl3
07-13-2010, 11:02 PM
lowes proline GS...

kkreit01
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
HD GS since they`ve been introduced on here.

Accumulator
07-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Eh, I`m not going back to sponges, grout or others.

BHBs, sheepskin mitts, MF mitts, and even very plush MF towels (shamrocks) upon occasion when using ONR. Which mitt depends on what the job is, but I always do the first passes with the BHBs (and unless I`m ONRing I do *all* passes with the foamgun, of course).

If you have to go with just one, I`d go with the sheepskin mitts, as the MFs contamination-retention can sometimes cause issues. But I like having options.

mystickid
07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Eh, I`m not going back to sponges, grout or others.

I`m with you on this one. I jumped on the grout sponge bandwagon even though it was a tough pill to swallow for me. I just couldn`t get passed the notion that the gs would be grinding particles against my paint. But the thing is sooooo many people vouch for grout sponges and love em`. So I was sold and tried it too. Honestly I still felt like it wasn`t the best choice for me even though the sponge gets much softer after being dipped and soaked.

Sure enough, after rubbing in one memorable time on trunk lid, I saw very noticeable scratch marks and was very disheartened. I know, i could`ve done something wrong or what-not but that was the dealbreaker for me. I`m sticking to Sheepskins. In my experience i can go a year or more without inducing swirls with my sheepskins on my soft black paint. It just works well for me so I`m sticking with it.

However, in terms of rinsing out dirt on the grit guard, the grout sponge wins hands down compared to all other wash media I`ve used.

I really want to try the ridiculously fluffy "Yeti" sheepskin wash mitt.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/mystickid/IMG_1828.jpg

Pic from member on autogeekonline.

Accumulator
07-15-2010, 11:44 AM
... in terms of rinsing out dirt on the grit guard, the grout sponge wins hands down compared to all other wash media I`ve used.

I can`t help but repeat for the umpteenth time :o how, when I "get my wash technique right", there`s virtually no dirt to get rinsed out; my rinse water stays quite clean even after a winter-nasty wash. Guess there are a whole lotta different ways to approach the how-to-wash issue.

Rob Tomlin
07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The GS definitely is not for me either.

I`m mostly a sheepskin user.

You guys who are using a GS, do you use it with ONR? I just don`t see that as being a good combination.

loco
07-17-2010, 07:46 AM
I used a grout sponge for a while and liked it at first. I still don`t mind it and will use it for lower areas on the car. I don`t believe it caused any marring, but just find that it isn`t very effective at removing dirt from the car. I found I needed to scrub too hard in some places and I didn`t want to do that.

I have gone back to sheepskin mitt for the upper/cleaner portions of the car. I also sometimes use a chenille mitt for the front and lower sections.