PDA

View Full Version : Fresh LSP and water stains

GoCubsGo
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I`ll try to make this short, but there`s some history/details.

I`ve noted that < 30 days of applying various LSP`s and the finish is soon there after exposed to rain, occasionally slight "water etching/spotting" can occur. This only seems to occur sub 30 days of final LSP application.

Example 1:

Last fall, 3 days after prepping a car for winter (wash, clay, 845 x 2), a rain storm left spotting. The next day I tried to spot clean it up with ONR and various QD`s with no luck. I applied a 50/50 distilled water/distilled white vinegar solution and it cleaned up, but....

Example 2 (different client):

This spring, about 2 weeks after a full detail (LSPs were JS109 x 2 and Pete`s 53 x 2), the car was subject to rain. It was about 3-5 days after the rain before the client contacted me regarding the spotting and unfortunately I wasn`t able to do anything for another week or so. End result, I tried an ONR wash, various QDs, clay (Sonus Green) and the distilled water/distilled vinegar solution, but nothing worked this time. The spotting remains.

Example 3:

Within the past few months I`ve noted similar stories on a couple make specific boards (various LSPs). Basically it goes like this..."I sealed/waxed my car 10 (or 15 or 20) days ago and after a recent rain, I`ve noted spotting that won`t come off with a wash or QD...".

I`m in Chicago so I am not sure if this may be "acid rain/hard water" specific. I prep the surface properly prior to applying any LSPs (50/50 IPA or Menzerna FI wipe down), apply thin coats, allow proper hazing before buffing and allow proper cure time before layering/topping.

Curious of any insight out there as I would like to correct my process if needed or advise my clients properly if need be.

Thanks

akimel
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I`m glad you brought this up. I have wondered the same thing. It does seem to me that my black Honda is more vulnerable to water staining within the first two weeks of application of a carnauba wax than at other times. I have not noticed this as much with BFWD, which I used as my winter protectant, but perhaps I wasn`t watching as closely. But I do know that after my spring 2009 and 2010 polishing details, water spots seemed to grow overnight. Consequently, I have had to to resort to mid-summer polishing (I just polished the hood and horizontal surfaces this morning!). Maybe it`s all my imagination, but ...