PDA

View Full Version : Are PakShak Micro Fiber Towels the best quality for money?

ahheck01
07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
I`m starting a small mostly-for-fun-but-still-for-profit detailing business on a budget and I`m looking for quality microfiber towels for buffing off compound, polish, and wax without decreasing quality of finish but without spending more than I have to. Is $3.50 a piece for the 16" x 16" Micropak Ultra Micro Fiber towels the best bang for the buck? I`ve searched quite a bit, and haven`t found any recent reports on this.

Thanks!

-Evan

sulla
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Their pricing is about in the middle-tier imo but quality and customer service is UP there with the best of best...If you`re detailing your own car this is the towels to get

Excel`s yellow/blue supreme towel is cheaper albeit no mf/silk banding and performs about the same as the ultras...Since you`re in business I think this will be better for you since it`s cheaper

Legacy
07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
It`s hard to beat Pakshak towels both in price and quality. Just sign up on the forum and get 10% off. Products are shipped USPS flat rate so shipping will not kill you.

sulla
07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
I just asked for discount plainly... No magic word

And Ranney simply gave the 10% away :D

loco
07-08-2010, 11:50 PM
I have a bunch of them and honestly I don`t see the big deal. They are nice towels, but I`ve gotten nicer ones. I find they wear out quicker than others I`ve had. After a few washes, mine tend to go to interior duty. I probably won`t be getting any more of them.

Ranney is great and I like buying from him. He has a lot of other products as well.

sulla
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Do share what are those nicer ones loco.... :)

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Ranney is great and his customer service is the best. He does seem to have some unique or at least some unusual towels, but for the fairly normal ones that you have mentioned, and for bulk purchase, I wouldn`t consider Pak to be "bang for the buck". I would try Microfibertech, their pricing isn`t quite as good as it used to be; the Medium Terry 300 is a great general-purpose towel, and the Plush Terry 360 a great plush towel. The best bang-for-buck is here Wholesale Distributor of Microfiber Towels and Cleaning Products - Wholesale Microfiber Towel Store (http://www.towelpros.com/towel-store/) with the WCT001, but it looks like he`s waiting for another shipment. Those seem to be a bit "denser" than the MFT Plush Terry 360, but the ones I saw hadn`t been washed yet. ADS also has bulk towels, but I haven`t tried any. Not sure if you are really looking to buy "bulk" or not.

BigAl3
07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
pakshak carries quality microfiber towels, but so do many other vendors these days...

2007TBSS
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Once again, I read an entire brand centered Autopia thread and know no more than I did when I started.:bat

Accumulator
07-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Once again, I read an entire brand centered Autopia thread and know no more than I did when I started.:bat

Maybe this`ll clarify things (and yeah, it`s just IMO, but still...)- the short answer is that you won`t go wrong with MFs from PakShak, but they might not be the most cost-effective choice. They`re not ridiculously overpriced or anything though.

Note that Ahheck01 is putting some emphasis on doing this professionally, and that can make for different priorities/considerations compared to a hobbyist. I myself have zero problems just buying most of my MFs from PakShak, other than liking to throw some business Patrick`s way.

loco
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Do share what are those nicer ones loco.... :)

Excel Detail has very nice towels. I got excellent Waffle Weaves there. I like some of the Cobra towels that Autogeek sells. I got some from GTechniq with a recent order that I like. There are others - frankly I can`t remember now. I`m not down on PakShak necessarily, just think there are others that are as good or better and for whatever reason, for me, they seem to last (stay soft through washes) longer.

Accumulator
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-I really like PakShak towels, and doing business with them in general. But I doubt they`re the most cost-effective source.

-I also like doing business with Patrick, but I can`t say that my Excel MFs are any better than my PakShak ones in any way.

-Some, but not all, of my Cobras seem inferior to my other MFs, be careful which you buy from that line.

-Many of the MFs from different vendors are simply the exact same thing with different labels/colors/borders/etc.