PDA

View Full Version : Doing big jobs

Pages : [1] 2

solekeeper
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks accumulator, I suppose that is a good idea cleaning off each panel after your done.

So if you were doing a door, you would do everything, then say unmask, clean the edges, inside the door etc?

Jackerooni, I always put paper on the cowl area. I`m short, so it`s a pain when compound gets in there. lol

solekeeper
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Hey guys, I seem to have a problem and I can`t figure it out.

When doing cars that need major correction, (2-3 steps) or the black cars etc..

I seem to have such a hard time with my clean-up. I physically feel exhausted when I go to clean up. It just always seems there`s just a little compound dust here, or there, it`s hard to explain I guess. I feel like the clean up process is harder for me than the actual polishing itself.

What are the steps you guys take to make life easier during these particular steps in detaling?

Accumulator
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
solekeeper- I`ll often (usually, I guess) mask off each panel as I do it. Tape, plastic sheeting, whatever it takes. And I get *all* the dust off of each area before I move on to the next one. Then I`ll cover the corrected panel up (the plastic sheeting again) before I move on. That way I never let things get too bad over too large an area. Also, I`ll do a full wash with something pretty potent, and if I still had a pressure washer I`d probably use that.

imported_Jakerooni
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
a solid wash afterwards usually does the trick. For preventive measures tape off all areas that compound can get into. I todd white terry towels over the cowel and wiperblades to prevent them from getting all clustered up... A few extra minutes on the front side can save quite a bit of time on the backside of things.

The Wraith
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
A second set of eyes will usually do the trick.

Accumulator
07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Accumulator, so after each panel you would do a full clean up?

Like for instance, you finish a door, then you would clean all crevices, inside the door etc.?

If I thought it was necessary. Yeah, it does interrupt the flow, but some things (like M105 residue) can be such a PIA if allowed to dwell that I`d rather do the cleaning-up sooner than later.

solekeeper
07-09-2010, 09:34 AM
wow, didn`t even realize I posted twice.

What a coincidence, I use m105. lol

Curious, to make sure you get all of the residue off the door you would do an IPA wipedown? (I don`t do this, and I think this is part of my problem)

solekeeper
07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Accumulator, so after each panel you would do a full clean up?

Like for instance, you finish a door, then you would clean all crevices, inside the door etc.?

XL Advantage
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Learned about the IPA wipe down from this site. I love it. It works so well and it`s pretty inexpensive considering how much the other stuff we use costs.

Accumulator
07-10-2010, 11:55 AM
wow, didn`t even realize I posted twice...

I`ve done that a few times in the last couple days myself...the site`s kinda weird these days...

What a coincidence, I use m105. lol

Heh heh, yeah...I somehow kinda figured ;)

Curious, to make sure you get all of the residue off the door you would do an IPA wipedown? (I don`t do this, and I think this is part of my problem)

I`m a little different in that I seldom do much IPA wiping with M105. I`m not concerned with its oils/etc. concealing much (for reasons upon which I could elaborate if necessary) and I`m more concerned with getting the residue off...completely and witha minimum of micromarring. So I use #34 to get the residue off and *maybe* clean the panel with PrepWash if I think it`s necessary. I like PrepWash a lot better than IPA for most applications, even if it *is* a bigger hassle. Yeah, I do use IPA too, but I`d sure hate to be without the PrepWash.

It sounds sorta like you`re not using *anything* for this, so I`d get some IPA from the drugstore and order some PrepWash from Top of the Line Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.topoftheline.com/)

AeroCleanse
07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I switched to a water based compound / polish, so a quick rinse and dry (or water in a spray bottle) removes it. Its always a good idea to tape up before you start.

solekeeper
07-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks rask.. Ok a feq questions.

The #34 is from Meguiars right? And, what mf do yoo use to wipe it on/off with?

I`am at body shop, so we do have prep wash, but do you think this is suitable for my surface w/o marring it?

And *dumb question, sorry.. The ipa can be anyone from the drug store? Or certain one in particular? Thanks!

Accumulator
07-11-2010, 03:42 PM
The #34 is from Meguiars right? And, what mf do yoo use to wipe it on/off with?

Right, Meguiar`s Final Inspection, a bodyshop-safe QD. I use any plush (and soft enough that it won`t mar) MF, usually one from PakShak.

I`am at body shop, so we do have prep wash, but do you think this is suitable for my surface w/o marring it?

You do mean Hi-Temp PrepWash, right..the specific product by that name? That`s what I`m referring to. It lacks lubricity, but it`s certainly no worse than IPA or PrepSol or Dawn, or any such stuff.

The ipa can be anyone from the drug store? Or certain one in particular? Thanks!

Right, regular rubbing alcohol, either the 70% or 90% stuff. I use it straight but some dilute it 50:50 with water.

solekeeper
07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Ok, thanks alot! So I`ll grab some ipa, and meguiars 34.

Any special way to wipe this on/off so I can avoid marring?

Oh, yea I do notice alot of members dilute their ipa, but is there any benefit to doing that?

Accumulator
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Any special way to wipe this on/off so I can avoid marring?

Try to "roll" the MF to lift the residue up, rather than "scrubbing" or "wiping" with it. Just try to be as gentle as you can and see what works for you.

Oh, yea I do notice alot of members dilute their ipa, but is there any benefit to doing that?

AFAIK they`re trying to make the IPA more gentle, out of concern that it might damage something. I, OTOH, don`t worry about that and consider IPA somewhat over-rated for this kind of thing compared to the PrepWash. Yeah, I`m a broken record about that stuff ;)