PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a coarser clay bar?

wolfe
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I just picked up a new car, and it`s white. In preparation for paint sealant, I`m trying to remove all these tiny specks of what I believe to be tar.

I have a tub of griot`s garage clay, a meguiar`s off the shelf clay kit, and a pea-sized piece of leftover sonus gray clay from 2+ years ago.

I`m finding the griot`s stuff is just too soft and too fine (it`s 90 degrees in the garage), the meguiar`s is harder but too fine. I tried this tiny piece of sonus clay I had left over, and it`s doing a great job but I don`t have enough to do the car.

The sonus stuff has been discontinued, and replaced with a milder blue version. I`ve been told this has since been replaced with an even milder green version, which doesn`t help me.

Any suggestions for what brand of clay might be roughly equivalent to the old sonus gray?

Barry Theal
07-04-2010, 02:22 PM
iif its tar I wouldn`t use clay. Stoners makes a great product called tarminator that can be found about every major auto parts store, advance, autozone, pepboys and such. While a clay bar will remove embeded contaminants. Mineriol spirits products work great for tar. Also keroscene and gasolene work well to but use that at your own discresion.